Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker Help

ty34984

Easy to take care of that problem. Put the slide in your milling vise and level it with a DTI. Using a 1/8" endmill make you initial cut to hog out some of the steel. Be sure to lock the X axis of the mill table. Finish this cut about .010" - .015 shallower than you want the final dovetail cut depth to be. Remove the endmill and install the dovetail cutter. Touch off at the bottom of your 1/8" cut and then raise the table so you will have the final depth you want with the first cut of the dovetail cutter. Be sure to make this first dovetail cut slooowly. Unlock the X axis and dial in a few thousandths right or left and make another cut. Try the racker. If it doesn't fit cut the dovetail another couple of thousandths wider. Try the racker again. Keep cutting until the racker fits snugly then stop.

Just because the cutter is only .359" doesn't mean you can't make the cut as wide as you want it by moving the table to make the cut wider. In this case you cut the dovetail .371" wide. The 60 degree walls stay 60 degrees no matter how wide you make the cut.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

I think he's saying that the cut in his slide is too wide for the available sliderackers. He would have to add metal, not cut more off.

ty, best bet is to find a smith that will make you a custom one.

I wish I owned a mill and all the other stuff that makes my open gun run but you are correct the slide is already cut and i was looking for a ready made fit to the slide

• 2 months later...