Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

W231

Tigereye

I'm unable to find W231 anywhere in person, on-line, or on the phone. Is it correct that Hodgdon HP38 is the same powder as 231? I use a 550B to reload and have read that Unique doesn't measure well. Since I really like the 231, is there a "next best thing" that runs well in the Dillon if I can't find HP38 (haven't found any of it yet, either)? Thank you for your help.

Eric

Erik,

From the data on the Hodgdon website it appears that they are the same since the data appears identical. Personally I prefer a somewhat faster burning powder for 45 ACP such as American Select or WST - both are shotgun powders and appear to be in stock on dealers shelves. Bullseye is also an excelllent powder for 45 ACP as is HX-700X for lead bullet looads. Bullseye, WST and American Select all meter very well in my Dillon 550 from round one. HS-700X has to settle in after ca 4 or 5 rounds but then is quite uniform.

Edited by TonyT

I shoot Speer swaged 230 LRN in .45 ACP. 231 and HP-38 are the same, work well, and I've used both for years. Today I favor Clays (3.4 - 3.8 grains, depending upon your barrel... both are under Hodgdon max and will get a 165 PF) for that bullet. Clays is cleaner burning IMHO, with a touch less recoil than 231 and HP-38, and is not as temperature sensitive in cold weather.

Chris Christian

I migrated from Unique to W231 to Clays over 40 years of reloading 45 ACP Target Loads. W231 is fine however Clays is a lot cleaner. Not particulary important in 1911's but critical in Moonclipped revolvers you want to speed load.

To keep things simple have moved most of my handgun target loads to Clays

Boats

I migrated from Unique to W231 to Clays over 40 years of reloading 45 ACP Target Loads. W231 is fine however Clays is a lot cleaner. Not particulary important in 1911's but critical in Moonclipped revolvers you want to speed load.

To keep things simple have moved most of my handgun target loads to Clays

Boats

What he said.

Kevin

Yes, W231 and HP-38 are identical (known as SMP #231, by the way, from St. Marks Powder). I don't like it but prefer a medium burn like WSF.

ETA: I take that back. For .380 it's wonderful. Everything else it isn't worth a pinch of poop.

Edited by freakshow10mm

I'm unable to find W231 anywhere in person, on-line, or on the phone. Is it correct that Hodgdon HP38 is the same powder as 231? I use a 550B to reload and have read that Unique doesn't measure well. Since I really like the 231, is there a "next best thing" that runs well in the Dillon if I can't find HP38 (haven't found any of it yet, either)? Thank you for your help.

Eric

I've run a ton of Unique and haven't had any problems in my Dillon measure. I've lately swung over to Universal Clays, very simular to Unique but cleaner burning.

Sal