Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

>22 RF

DBrevit

My daughter is shooting 22. I will be "borrowing" her 22 at the Steel Challenge this August when we both go to shoot the rimfire event. It's really pretty fun shooting the SC stages with the 22! I recommend giving it a try! Reliability of the rimfire ammo is critical. One misfire can be very costly and turn what should've been a good run into a horrible run! My daughter experienced that at the local match this past weekend. Mini-mags have been pretty much 100% reliable. The red Federal bulk pack from walmart is usually pretty good but we will only use it for practice from now on. We've been getting about 5 to 10 misfires per box of 550. Murphy's law dictates that at least one of those will happen in a match! The Federal Auto-Match is great stuff for the money.....IF you can find it! Almost as reliable as the mini-mags and much cheaper.

Good luck if you're getting set up to shoot rimfire! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help out! :)

Hi DBrevit,

I shoot a .22 pistol and rifle at most matches, if I get the time. I run the SC matches at my club so I always don't get to shoot depending on what is going on. My daughter is getting ready to shoot and she has her own .22 pistol now. The wife will return to shooting soon (just had a baby) and she shoots a .22 Tactical Solutions/Buckmark at that matches. I would say our local matches are now about 75% .22RF. Everyone seems to love it and it's a cheap way to shoot also.

Ammo is critical like Trodrig mentioned and we use the Federals, I stocked up with about 12 boxes at this point.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

At this time I shoot rimfire exclusively, although for the next Steel Challenge I will also be shooting a stock auto. Every event that has a rimfire component that I can reach I tend to shoot. In Oct., I'm shooting Ruger Rimfire Series on the 10/3, rimfire multi-gun on 10/17 and Steel Challenge on 10/31.

• 1 month later...