Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue Overmolded AR handguard

gerritm

These looked kind of interesting. Anybody use one or have any feedback? Looks like they would be comfortable and cool (temp) to use.

I had the set early on in my introduction to AR's

The handguard does not vent very well and traps alot of heat. There are better choices in my opinion in both grips and handguards.

I prefer the JP and Troy/VTAC Battlerail or PRi Carbon Fiber

I got one when I first built my rifle, but as I was using a heavy barrel already, I needed something lighter for a handguard and switched to carbon fiber. The only issue I had with it was the lack of any ventilation slots. The grip was OK but I wanted something a bit fatter and switched to an Ergo 4045 grip.

The price isn't bad, but I think you can do better for a bit more.

These looked kind of interesting. Anybody use one or have any feedback? Looks like they would be comfortable and cool (temp) to use.

Its a pretty good set but the handguard is not great for 3 gun IMO. The handguard is comfortable and grips nice but traps heat and will get hot with a lot of rounds. If you are going to use it on a hunting or bench rifle, I would say give it a try. I have one on my 6.8 hunter and its great. As for the grip, I love it. I use the hogue grip on all my ARs. It fits the hand nicely and offers a positive grip surface regardless of weather condition.

That heat problem was what I was trying to get away from. We had a 30plus round stage and the solid aluminum floating one I have now got plenty hot. I don't really care for the tactical types with all of the rails and sharp edges. I didn't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks for it either.

That heat problem was what I was trying to get away from.

DPMS has a vented tube that lists for under $80. Never seen one but it's worth looking into.

I also agree with you about the tactical rails being a (literal) pain. There are covers but that bumps the price up.

Check out the Yankee Hill Machine ones too. Its vented and comes with rails if you want to put them on. They are in the $100-$150 range depending on size and where you buy it from.

+1

I decided to have my buddy mill some vents on the top half of the solid aluminum DPMS handguard I have. I like it, but it just gets too hot. I have a shoot this weekend and I will see if this works out. I don't think I need any rails, so this should solve the heat problems.