Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need data for loading Desert Eagle .44 Mag

noslers should work fine, as long as the exposed lead isnt alot, sounds wierd, but a round with a big ol exposed lead HP will cause malfuctions (least in mine it did, mine is a Gen 1 eagle) a local commercial reloader actually started to makethe stuff w/ a full metal jacketed bullet(fmj) and loaded as what he called 44 rem mag +p+ loads worked great in mine, anything with a smallish hp tip should work and not cause probs, also, tho you found outthe rounds were too long, some who shoot the big beast tend to 'flinch' and with that the gun doesnt getto cycle all the way or 'short stroke, and not load the next round, she is a beast in all respects, so hang on and have fun, its a hell of a ride

remember no questions about reloading and reloading safety are dumb

noslers should work fine, as long as the exposed lead isnt alot, sounds wierd, but a round with a big ol exposed lead HP will cause malfuctions (least in mine it did, mine is a Gen 1 eagle) a local commercial reloader actually started to makethe stuff w/ a full metal jacketed bullet(fmj) and loaded as what he called 44 rem mag +p+ loads worked great in mine, anything with a smallish hp tip should work and not cause probs, also, tho you found outthe rounds were too long, some who shoot the big beast tend to 'flinch' and with that the gun doesnt getto cycle all the way or 'short stroke, and not load the next round, she is a beast in all respects, so hang on and have fun, its a hell of a ride

remember no questions about reloading and reloading safety are dumb

II made my 1st batch of hornady 240gr. with H110 24.00 but decided to go with a 23.5gr of H110, I can use the same amount of measured powder H110 @ 23.5 grains and it will be just fine? im not sure what you mean is a plus P round? how many gr. would be cocidered a plus P round? and is a pluss P round bad for the barrel?

no +p isnt bad forthe barrel, as it were i was the only kid on the block out here on the the left coast that had one ofthe beasties(it is a first gen eagle) and this particular commercial loader had never loaded any ammo for anything like it, and when i told him his regular 'magnum' loading for a revolver in .44 mag wouldnt cycle my eagle, we started to put our heads together for him to load some rounds that would work for it, i also found out, that more often than not, the remington HP's with a huge scalloped hollow point were jamming up the gun, so he went out and found a FMJ .44 mag bullet and loaded it hot, and so as not to get it confused with his regular revolver loading, he called it a +P+ loading

your loading should be fine, as long as they arnt sticking in the mag(too long OAL)primers arnt too badly flattened(signs of high pressure) and when it goes BOOM, and yes they do, everything cycles just peachy, hey, off you go, my problem, was i experimented atthe upper end ofthe spectrum and gotthe slide moving so fast, they were ejecting straight back at me(with force) so it became a squeeze offthe shot, and DUCK the head really fast, which makes for crappy shooting

have fun with it, she is a beast in all respects and will handle a great deal that most if not all other revolvers wont

@ Cali, lol you dodgin your brass! what was your load charge at that time? Where can I buy bullets by the bulk? I too have the 1st gen DE!! I got it from a friend who owed me money, it was between the DE or a Isrealy AK!

Lots o places to buy bulk bullets. Montana Gold, Roze, etc. Montana Gold has 240 grn JSP for $175.00 per thousand.

Thanks Grump, I seen a post where you was recomending a newb like me to buy in bulk cuz he and i are wasting money by the 100's I was just stoked to be reloading! I looked up montana gold but didnt have the price everytime I tryed to click on the price it would disconect from the net! but ill try again!and i looked up shooter conection but all i seen was everything from zero's 38 to 45 !so if you think Im giving you guys headache's now loading for .44mag now wait till I get my conversion kits I found Natches has my powder H110 in bulk (8lb's) what is MG's & BBI? I couldnt find nadda on them!

Montana Gold doesn't sell powder. The best powder deals I've found are from Powder Valley. They also sell bullets, brass and primers (best prices I've found on powder and primers). Or try Graf & sons, they also have a lot of stuff. Midway has alot of bullets and powder as well, but the prices are a bit different.

https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

http://www.grafs.com/

+1 to Grumpy's reccomendations on where to buy bullets in bulk and powder, for me, powder valley has been very goodto me in having powders i use in stock 95 percent of the time

your gonna save as much as 2 bucks per 100 if you buy in bulk, i know its a chunk of change atthe front end, but overall its a savings, just like you said, you got 8 lbs of powder recently, and im sure you saved a bit of cash doing it that way vs. single lbs.

sorry, not gonna give out the powder charge that was flingin brass back at me, suffice it to say, you will be shooting and duckin brass(not good at all) if its runnin the gun, your doin fine, and because of the dounle spring set in the thing and somthing like 4 lbs of slide mass to get moving, it will like loads more twards magnum rather than mild, remember, if you change components only load 10 or so rounds and see if they work, if they dont, less bullets to pull hehehe

Thanks Cali & Grump,I have saved a few bux, I recently came across Alliant Power Pistal. @ Grumpy i remember you had mention this powder what is your thoughts on this type of powder? Can I use LgPp CCI 300 WITH THIS?

Power Pistol is very versatile. You can load just about any pistol round with it (and there is data on Alliants website to back it up!). It's very clean, meters very well, and is pretty cheap compared to other powders. I posted a recipe for it in a previous post in this thread. As far as the primer goes, it should be no problem. As always, load a few and try before you load a bunch.

Power Pistol is very versatile. You can load just about any pistol round with it (and there is data on Alliants website to back it up!). It's very clean, meters very well, and is pretty cheap compared to other powders. I posted a recipe for it in a previous post in this thread. As far as the primer goes, it should be no problem. As always, load a few and try before you load a bunch.

Hay Grump, I went on Alliant's web site for the Power Pistal powder and it only has data for 200gr & 210gr bullet & not 240gr bulllet, can I not use this powder for a 240gr bullet(nosler/hornady)? if so how many grains do would I load?

Hay Grump, I went on Alliant's web site for the Power Pistal powder and it only has data for 200gr & 210gr bullet & not 240gr bulllet, can I not use this powder for a 240gr bullet(nosler/hornady)? if so how many grains do would I load?

A good rule of thumb is that a heavier bullet will use a lighter powder charge weight and a lighter bullet will use a heavier charge weight. I know it sounds strange, but that's the way it works. So, for a 240 grain, I would drop the charge by at least 10% (so the charge weight would be 13.1 grains, but to be safe, you probably should drop it by 15%, for a charge weight around 12.6 and work it up from there). Then again, it all depends on the bullet as well. If the bullet shape (length and ogive is the exact same as the one listed on their site) then you can go by the same OAL. But if it is different, you need to take that into account and load the appropriate OAL as a difference in OAL can drastically increase pressure.

BTW, see this post I posted for you EARLIER! http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107515&view=findpost&p=1223944

Edited by GrumpyOne