Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need AFTEC tuning to shoot Super Comp?

As the title suggested do I need to do any tuning on the gun to shoot Super Comp brass? Does the AFTEC extractor need to be tuned? The whole setup has been shooting 38 Super without any problem for the past few months since I got it but I'd just like to improve its feedings.

You would probably need a different Aftec depending on the breechface dimension. If you have a 38 Super breechface, you'll probably need the Aftec labeled for 9mm and 38 Supercomp. I'm guessing since you are shooting 38 Super, you may have the Aftec labeled for 38 Super. They are slightly different and Millenium Custom markets two different ones for a reason. Bending or otherwise tweaking the Aftec is not a good idea. It is better to purchase the specific Aftec for your needs.

FYI - Depending on the breech face dimension and the fit of the Aftec, some guns set up for regular Super will also run Supercomp. Others will not. Try it and see. You'll soon find out if that is the case (Pardon the pun)!

Yes, you'll need to get an AFTEC for 38SC/9mm. Since the firing pin stop is already modified to work with the AFTEC it's a simple swap. Pop the old one out, pop the new one in, double check that the nose of the extractor isn't hitting the end of the barrel when the slide is forward, and you're off and running.

Some people set up their extractors to work with both, but I think that's a bad idea....you wind up with the extractor not being quite right for either. One of, if not the, last places to scrimp on any 1911/2011 is the extractor. It's worth the $75 or so to have the proper setup for a second cartridge. R,

Will get an AFTEC for 38 Super Comp but I am now thinking of the breechface of the stock STI Trubor in 38 Super will it require work of any kind to run the Super Comp brass because the rim dimension is now smaller than the regular 38 Super? Will there be any reliablility issue? My Trubor has been running flawlessly shooting the ordinary 38 Super.

If your gun runs flawlessly with .38 Super why change to Supercomp? I can fill pages with my journey from .38 Super to 9x23 to Supercomp and back to regular Super. If the gun is set up right and runs you have no need for Supercomp. A stock SVI or tuned STI 170 mag will run 28 rounds Super and an (expensive)SVI from several sources will run 29 rounds, all 100%. So, there is no difference in capacity. If it ain't broke...

The feeding of the rounds are just too stiff. I would like to reduce recoil spring weight but can't because anything lower than 9lb will not have the force to push a fresh round forward and feed into the chamber. I would like to load my mag to the maximum capacity but if I do so it's just too hard to push that first round out the rim of the top round always sinks in the groove of the second round. The only way to solve this is go Super Comp. If it won't work I'd just swap back and shoot regular Super.

The normal .38 Super breachface will be fine with .38SC. .38SC will give you more room in the mags, an extra round in many magazine setups, a stronger case (much thicker in the web) and you'll get the same PF with a tenth or two less powder because it has slightly less case volume due to the thicker web. It's pretty much a win, win, win sort of situation. R,

Like G-man said earlier, they can be setup to use both or they just come that way too. I have an original Eagle 5.5 open gun that had some minor custom work to it and that runs both without any problems. I probably ran 15K of 38S through it and now about 4K of 38SC and haven't had any failures (that weren't my fault) but none on the extraction/ejection part.

Remember the old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it" so you may want to try it out first just to verify.