Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson Pointman Patriot Proof?

Pro2AInPA

A guy locally is selling a 2002 Dan Wesson Pointman "Patriot Proofed" 1911 for $700.

The trigger is absolutely amazing. The gun has an external extractor, which I've heard is a bad thing? I don't know.

Anyway, any of you guys know anything about this particular gun? Thoughts?

The front sight is missing the insert, so it's plain black. I prefer fiber optic. Anyone know if Dawson sells a FO front for that gun?

Here's a picture of the front sight cut:

856f13fc.jpg

The same guy also has a NIB Kimber Custom II with 6 mags for $800. Which do you guys feel is the better 1911?

A guy locally is selling a 2002 Dan Wesson Pointman "Patriot Proofed" 1911 for $700.

The trigger is absolutely amazing. The gun has an external extractor, which I've heard is a bad thing? I don't know.

Anyway, any of you guys know anything about this particular gun? Thoughts?

The front sight is missing the insert, so it's plain black. I prefer fiber optic. Anyone know if Dawson sells a FO front for that gun?

Here's a picture of the front sight cut:

The same guy also has a NIB Kimber Custom II with 6 mags for $800. Which do you guys feel is the better 1911?

I have a Bobtail with the external extractor. It works now but apparently the builder never did any fitting or tuning of these external extractors and that is why they had a bad reputation. What I did was contour the extractor much the same way you would for an internal extractor so that the round slips underneath smoothly. And, I had to add tension to the extractor spring. I never looked to see if any other springs are available. I just used a thin spacer under the spring. The gun runs great now.

I can't help with what sight cut that is. You might try calling Dan Wesson to ask. Or, go over to the 1911 forum and ask the guys in the Dan Wesson section. They would likely know.

Have you shot the gun to see if it runs/extracts reliably? Without shooting it I would say the Dan Wesson should be in the $600 range. However, if it runs reliably then I would take it over a Kimber any day of the week. If it doesn't run or you can't check then the Kimber is probably a better bet.

Chris