Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet?

jmcmanis

I am currently using 124gr CMJ bullets from Montana Gold. I shoot .38 super comp in the limited division. I am getting ready to start shooting open as well. Is the 124gr CMJ a good bullet to use for open and limited? What is everyone elses preferences?

Thanks

I really like the 121 gr. IFP's from MTG. The super comp in Limited puts you at minor so I'm guessing you are doing this to prevent multiple calibers for reloading?

I really like the 121 gr. IFP's from MTG. The super comp in Limited puts you at minor so I'm guessing you are doing this to prevent multiple calibers for reloading?

Yeah, Id rather keep one load for both.. just change the powder amounts.

You are already shooting minor in Limited, are you going to shoot minor in Open also? I mean, if you really want to standardize on one load, make it one minor load you can use with your Limited and Open. However, I do agree with Pezco about the MG 121, very nice bullet to load multiple ways. Good luck!

as has been well documented here on the forums, the 147gr will produce more of a 'push' rather than a 'snap' ofthe 115's or 124's, tho for me, ive developed a nice light 115 gr loadfor GSSF that is really fun to shoot, but a gun sprung for a 147 gr bullet with a 135ish PF??? will look to the bystanders like it isnt even moving. YMMV

There are about a bunch of powders you can make major with in 38 Super Comp. I've tried 115's in open and I don't like the accuracy, they don't seem to stabilize as well as the 124/125. Powders on the fast side of open and slow side of limited might work a little better than N105 but N105 is very good in open, it puts out a lot of gas. IMR7625 and Silhouette are cross over powders you might want to try. I've shot 38 Super minor with 115gr and 5.0gr of WST.

I've been thinking about going to VV n105. Im going to try to make major with both.

Make major with both what...both guns? You can't shoot major in Limited with .38SC. Lots of powders will work well with a 124CMJ for Major in Open. N105 is outstanding, 3N38, 4756, N350, and a bunch of others are all very good...lots of possibilities.

Yeah both guns. Is it just impossible to load .38 super major in limited?

I've been thinking about going to VV n105. Im going to try to make major with both.

Make major with both what...both guns? You can't shoot major in Limited with .38SC. Lots of powders will work well with a 124CMJ for Major in Open. N105 is outstanding, 3N38, 4756, N350, and a bunch of others are all very good...lots of possibilities.

Yeah both guns. Is it just impossible to load .38 super major in limited?

the rules require .40 cal or bigger to be considered major in limited division. so even if you shot 38 super in open, took the sights off and used irons to shoot in limited, it would be scored minor just because the caliber is smaller than .40

hope this answers your question.

-steve