Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lesson learned the hard way.....

Stradawhovious

Don't know if this topic is like a rash all over this forum, and don't much care. I would think that the more often this particular lesson is brought up the better.

I'm a tinkerer, especially with my guns. I would prefer to "learn by doing" when it comes to tuning up than pay a smith. (mainly because I can't afford it.....) Don't get me wrong, I don't do any major work, just little stuff here and there. Well today, that certianly came back to haunt me. I was tinkering with my competition gun last week trying some "improvements" offered by a local gunsmith. Well everything was all well and good until I got to the match. Not one live round was put through the firearm before the match, and it was my downfall. I turned what could have been a fairly simple string into a minute and a half embarassing nightmare. The first few shots went off without a hitch, then the cylinder stopped turning, and I couldn't rotate it out to reload without some serious effort. This continued for a few reloads and I finally finished the stage, but at the expense of some serious emabarssment and about an hour of good natured ribbing.

Lesson here, if you are brave (read: dumb) enough to muss with your gun and you aren't a gunsmith, make sure it works before competing with it.

Don't know if this topic is like a rash all over this forum, and don't much care. I would think that the more often this particular lesson is brought up the better.

I'm a tinkerer, especially with my guns. I would prefer to "learn by doing" when it comes to tuning up than pay a smith. (mainly because I can't afford it.....) Don't get me wrong, I don't do any major work, just little stuff here and there. Well today, that certianly came back to haunt me. I was tinkering with my competition gun last week trying some "improvements" offered by a local gunsmith. Well everything was all well and good until I got to the match. Not one live round was put through the firearm before the match, and it was my downfall. I turned what could have been a fairly simple string into a minute and a half embarassing nightmare. The first few shots went off without a hitch, then the cylinder stopped turning, and I couldn't rotate it out to reload without some serious effort. This continued for a few reloads and I finally finished the stage, but at the expense of some serious emabarssment and about an hour of good natured ribbing.

Lesson here, if you are brave (read: dumb) enough to muss with your gun and you aren't a gunsmith, make sure it works before competing with it.

Been there, last match I thought I had a mussed up recoil spring. Grabbed the replacement out of my bag and threw it in.

Yeah, open glock + limited gun spring = single shot.

I was doing good, it was on the last stage. Zero'd it so we didn't run short on time to finish gettin everyone through the courses.

• 3 weeks later...