Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with M&P 125gr lead load

I was hoping that you guys could help me out. I have a M&P 9Pro and I am in the process of load developement. I have a ton of 125gr Lead conical flat point bullets. For powders I have Bullseye, Power Pistol, N340, and WST. I am having trouble finding a load for this bullet that is less than 4-5" at 25yds. It seems no matter what charge I try 4"-5" is the best that I can get. Does anyone have a pet load for this bullet and pistol that they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm starting to get very frustrated. With a 125 JHP and Power Pistol I can get 2" groups so I don't know if the problem is the bullet or powder/charge. The max OAL I can get with this bullet is 1.075". I can get HP38 locally if it will help.

Have you looke on Alliants website? I'd try about 5.4 grains of Power pistol (and work from there), OAL of 1.12. I don't load 9mm, but I load a ton of 40 with PP, my 40 load is 5.6 grains, 180gr TC lead bullet, OAL of 1.12.

From what I'm seeing with mine and other folks M&P's they seem to be picky about bullets. Mine loves Zero 147gr JHPs, but hates Zero 147gr FMJs....go figure. :blink:

I fly model gliders, another obsessive and expensive hobby. Getting the Center of Gravity (C/G) of your model at the sweet spot makes all the difference between having a model that flies and having a model that flies great, is responsive and goes where you point it. I imagine bullets share some of these characteristics and hollow point bullets have to have a C/G that is a little further back than solid bullets. That's what I figure.

I have never had any luck pushing the light weight bullets at over 1000 fps in any of my 9mm's. When I shot lead it was the 147 gr. lead bullets over W-231. The W_W 14th Ed reloading manual listed 3.3 gr. W-231 = 865 fps = 29000 psi and mas was 3.5 gr. W-231 = 905 fps = 32000 psi.