Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special vs 38 shor t colt

AzShooter

After about 5 years of experimenting on and off with my .38 short colt loads the best I could get was about 2.5 in groups at 25 yards. I use 158 grain Billy Bullets 1.60 LOA and a variety of loads but the best has been 3.4 grains of Solo 1000. Nice clean powder. I can shoot a hole match without having to clean the cylinders.

Unfortunately the 2.5 inch groups isn't consisten. At times with the same load they go to 4 inches. I know, it's me not the gun.

So today I reloaded 100 160 grain Billy's in .38 Special brass. Old Federal cases and used my old load of 4.0 grains of Solo 1000. Here is the first group from my 686. I tried 5 groups and none was larger than 2 inches. This one measures 7/8 X 1 1/2.

I think I'll go for accuracy over the little time saved in reload speed.

post-132-127433247773_thumb.jpg

To an extent I agree. I'm using 38 special brass trimmed to .900" and loading 147 TC to 1.200 oal. The bullet jump does seem to affect accuracy. More so in a 357 chamber than a 38 chamber. The bullets with longer bearing surface (heavier bullets usually but hollow points are also normally longer) seem to give best accuracy with the short brass. I get consistent 2" 8 shot groups (full cylinder, 627) at 25 yds. Plenty good for USPSA. Same bullets in full length 38 special cases will shoot <1".

I guess I'm just an accuracy freak - must be my bullseye pistol heritage. I'll opt for accuracy every time since I still manage to fumble a bit with those skinny 8 shot cartridges. 45 ACP's in the S&W 625 are another story but gravity and those big holes in the cylinder are a contributing factor.