Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UniqueTek toolheads for 550B

I understand the UniqueTek toolheads can make a difference in consistency, especially if you use the lock screws instead of the factory locating pins.

Any actual experience with these?

I understand the UniqueTek toolheads can make a difference in consistency, especially if you use the lock screws instead of the factory locating pins.

I installed them on my XL-650 tool head, did not see any great difference. Was more concerned about stripping out the inserts when removing the tool head.

They are now living in a drawer in the shop.

I have a "clamped" Whidden CNC toolhead on my 550B from UniqueTek. Can't really compare it to the regular Dillon toolhead since I set the machine up from the get go with the Whidden. I also only load 9MM, so I do not change toolheads. I also use the "Turbo Bearing".

I do get extremely consistent ammunition out of the press, both in terms of dimensions and velocity. My typical OAL spread is about .003, and that is with Precision 147grs. Last time I chrono'd I had an extreme spread of something like 15FPS over 10 rds.

I have also noticed that the cartridge dimensions don't vary significantly regardless of whether or not there is a case in every station, which is something I know I have seen discussed on the forum.

Maybe I'd get the same type of performance from the standard toolhead, maybe not. I def don't regret spending the $30 on it.

I think the whidden cnc machined toolhead, the free floating lock dies, the uniquetek clamp system, the turbo bearing, and the uniquetek powder baffle are geared towards rifle cartridge reloading. Some of the top benchrest shooters actually use a 550 to reload their precision competition rifle rounds.

I agree that you probably don't need them for pistol reloading, but I do have one setup for .308.

In conjunction with the Whidden floating lock rings, the UniqueTek clamp kit is great. More consistent OALs for sure, and my cases slide into my EGW U sizing die more consistently.

Without the floating lock rings, I think it may not be worth it... Dillon insists that the "play" in their toolheads is there for a reason. Without the floating lock rings, there would be no play at all in the dies.