Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson SSC

I just got a used Dan Wesson SSC. Factory springs in it, just added short throw trigger, every once in a while I will get a failure to return to battery. I have shot factory and reloads doesn't matter same thing still happens, even if it the first one out of the mag or the 5th. I have taken this thing apart down to the last spring, haven't found any issues, I have been loading them to 1.130 I dont know if thats too long or what, any help would be appreciated.

1. Does it go into battery with a push on the back of the slide ?

2. Take the barrel out and see if the rounds sit flush with the barrel hood (or just below flush)

3. Will these rounds function in any other gun ?

4. DW's have a tight chamber, I had to have my PM-9 and Valor barrels reamed a little bit. This has cured almost all my feed issues. the valor still gets picky on length of LSWC, but thats another story.

5. It will probably never run right, I'll give you $500 for it. :ph34r:

What bullets are you using ? I dont load for .40, so I dont know if 1.13 is long, but if they dont sit flush, they arent going to let the gun go into battery.

(I was kidding about the $500 :) )

I dont think that $500 would buy a gun that only 100 were produced. I cannot push the slide forward for it to fully chamber. They sit above flush. They also sit higher in the EGW chamber checker than flush.

That's simply bad ammo. If they won't chamber fully in the barrel, and won't chamber fully in the case gauge, you can't expect them to run in the gun. If they're reloads, the brass probably isn't being resized quite enough...maybe brass that was shot out of a gun with a more generous chamber (Glock belly). For that problem you can use a Lee/EGW U-die (.001" Undersized), Redding came out with the G-Rx (as in Glock prescription), a Case Pro machine (expensive), or a Lee Factory Crimp Die. R,

I already am using and EGW undersizing die., and I am using a Lee factory crimp die

Neither of them really get the very last little bit of case with most setups. I've got a shell holder turned down that lets me get all but a couple thousandths while using the U-die, but it's not something that's easy to produce (the shell holder). That last little bit might be keeping them from chambering...the G-Rx might solve the problem. First step would be to set aside any rounds that don't fully drop in the case gauge and see how the gun runs then. R,

I just bought a SSC this year and am getting it dialed in. The trigger is too heavy, but that is to be expected from a factory pistol.

I had my long length reloads jam in my gun and not allow the slide to shut all the time. I had one round stick in the chamber and when I racked the slide really hard, it pulled the bullet out of the case. I ended up making some shorter reloads rounds and finally made it work. My trunicated cone moly bullets would not work as well as my 185gr precision moly bullets.

How I figured it out was by placing an unprimed brass in my reloader and started seating bullets. I kept on pushing it deeper until it dropped in the chamber.......I pulled the barrel out and used it as my chamber guage. If I seated them to factory lengths, it did not drop all the way into the chamber. And I tried different bullets. In short, here is what worked in my barrel/gun......185gr. moly coated precision bullets seated 1.138". I have used an EGW U die for the brass, and a dillon die for the crimping.

Randy

I just bought a SSC this year and am getting it dialed in. The trigger is too heavy, but that is to be expected from a factory pistol.

I had my long length reloads jam in my gun and not allow the slide to shut all the time. I had one round stick in the chamber and when I racked the slide really hard, it pulled the bullet out of the case. I ended up making some shorter reloads rounds and finally made it work. My trunicated cone moly bullets would not work as well as my 185gr precision moly bullets.

How I figured it out was by placing an unprimed brass in my reloader and started seating bullets. I kept on pushing it deeper until it dropped in the chamber.......I pulled the barrel out and used it as my chamber guage. If I seated them to factory lengths, it did not drop all the way into the chamber. And I tried different bullets. In short, here is what worked in my barrel/gun......185gr. moly coated precision bullets seated 1.138". I have used an EGW U die for the brass, and a dillon die for the crimping.

Randy

Can you pull you caliper out and tell me what is the diameter of the bullet itself. I use black bullets, and I took my bullet puller and pulled a factory round and the factory round is a little smaller, I was just wondering what you were getting for a measurement?

If I put the reloaded bullet into the chamber checker backwards, the shell casing sits flush to the top with just the bullet sticking out, but when I put it the correct way in it is sticking out on the top, and I was only loading to an OAL of 1.125

What does the case measure (loaded round) right at the mouth? You want something right around .420" to make sure it'll chamber fully. R,

If I put the reloaded bullet into the chamber checker backwards, the shell casing sits flush to the top with just the bullet sticking out, but when I put it the correct way in it is sticking out on the top, and I was only loading to an OAL of 1.125

What does the case measure (loaded round) right at the mouth? You want something right around .420" to make sure it'll chamber fully. R,

Mine measures .422, and it still will not chamber fully, I measured the factory bullet diameter right above the case and it measures .395, and then I measure my diameter on the reloads in the same place and they measure .400 I know it is a tiny difference, but could that be a factor? I matches winchesters OAL of 1.118 (which seems pretty short) and still sticks a hair above the EGW chamber gauge, but the factory ammo slides right in flush???

Randy

So Randy, in doing this will these seat all the way into the chamber checker? Are you using round nose bullets?

Mine measures .422, and it still will not chamber fully, I measured the factory bullet diameter right above the case and it measures .395, and then I measure my diameter on the reloads in the same place and they measure .400 I know it is a tiny difference, but could that be a factor? I matches winchesters OAL of 1.118 (which seems pretty short) and still sticks a hair above the EGW chamber gauge, but the factory ammo slides right in flush???

Unless you pull the bullet you can't really measure it properly. I'm sure the factory bullet is .400 just below where you can measure.

.422" is a little big and could be why they won't quite seat. Drop that down to .418-.420" and see what happens. R,

• 2 weeks later...