Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Hunter

ohdsmith

I have endeavored to mount my Witness Hunter 6" 10mm with a Short Tach Sight STS... The Tangfoglio advertised mount is a bridge w/ weaver rail with 4 pre-drilled holes on each side spaced at 1mm apart... It was 3 times longer than the Burris sight... Problem is, it overhung the ejection port... I reinstalled it using only the right half of the 2 part full bridge (left side being much shorter).. It works, (but to say the least, this is a poor fit)...I looked elswhere, and found a Arredondo J. Point Doctor Sight Pistol Mount that looks to be the answer.. HOWEVER.. Here again I am without complete info from the manufacturer ie: NO DIMENTIONS, USER FEEDBACK, or an eMail address to consult with the supplier as to its fit and/or usability... OUCH!!!!

post-24735-127411673209_thumb.jpg

Edited by ohdsmith

Arrendondo Accessories (http://www.arredondoaccessories.com) has contact information and links to e-mail or call them with questions. I found them to be very helpful and responsive. They offer the mount with and without a hole pattern so there should be no issue to match the pattern on your gun.

JV Dynamics (http://jvdynamics.com/custom_guns/new_parts.php) also makes a very nice mount that would work for you application.

Seems to me the mount is on the wrong side of the gun?

NO its correct... As stated, I installed only the right half of the 2 pc mount w/ Weaver Rail...(its the short side)... The left half serves no purpose as it extends almost over the rear sight...The EAA Bridge Mount was designed for the C-MORE rail mount... see pictures... one of another Witness Hunter showing the long left side of the 2 pc bridge mount... note the short SIG scope on the long weaver rail sitting on a longer than necessary mount...the other picture of the Weaver rail mount, a waste of my $140.oo for this obsolete device...

post-24735-127415249978_thumb.jpg

post-24735-127430101188_thumb.jpg

Edited by ohdsmith

...but that pic shows the mount on the proper side of the gun! :)

NO... You are looking at the long side of the bridge mount on the cammo gun vs short... Note it reaches the rear sight... not to mention it overhangs the open ejection port...

NOW with that clarified, My purpose is to find a modern mount for the AEE Witness Hunter frame w/4 holes to carry my STS Type Red Dot Sight...

post-24735-127418925718_thumb.jpg

post-24735-12741892821_thumb.jpg

post-24735-127430459515_thumb.jpg

Edited by ohdsmith

Have you tried putting the short half of the mount on the opposite side? That would let you use all the mounting holes, and there would be no obstruction of the ejection port.

Have you tried putting the short half of the mount on the opposite side? That would let you use all the mounting holes, and there would be no obstruction of the ejection port.

I tried that also...But..the sight is then exposed to barrel blast...also... these mounts seem to have a built in 1 deg. slope (why, I dont know)

To say the least, I have sent eMail to both EAA and C-More complaining on their failure to provide a up front information for the new STS mounting solutions for the Tanfoglio...

Edited by ohdsmith

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH.. :cheers: .. I place an order with them tonight.... It's the NEW STS mount...BUT...WHY haven't C-MORE and Tanfoglio made it available to their $1000.oo Witness Hunter customers...This experience cost me $140.oo not to mention 3 days of research... :wacko:

post-24735-127423768473_thumb.jpg

Edited by ohdsmith

No problem. You'll likely have to get an adapter or do some modification to fit the Burris.

Ouch...I wonder if I should just eBay my new Burris... another $210.oo loss :sick:

This seems to be a trip-foward by trip-foward installation....:sight:

RHT has sent me this photo of the top. :surprise:

Now I need to check with BURRIS for compatibility :unsure:

NOTE: The picture shown is of a 3 Hole Installation... The Tanfoglio 4 Hole Pattern is was available to me... :)

post-24735-127428101608_thumb.jpg

post-24735-127436687223_thumb.jpg

post-24735-127439006884_thumb.jpg

Edited by ohdsmith

As to the ejection port obstruction, what you are mostly concerned with should be if after the slide cycles fully to the rear, is the top and right side of the port obstructed - many scope mounts block the visible barrel hood and closed ejection port, but spent brass exits at the REAR of the barrel after the port moves fully rearward, not from the closed position.

As to the ejection port obstruction, what you are mostly concerned with should be if after the slide cycles fully to the rear, is the top and right side of the port obstructed - many scope mounts block the visible barrel hood and closed ejection port, but spent brass exits at the REAR of the barrel after the port moves fully rearward, not from the closed position.

YES, you are correct... However it was a cumbersome design to facilitate the longer Railmount C-More sight...

I feel that C-More has not been forthcoming on the new Short Tactical Sight and the STS mounting solutions :excl: but may be in the process of dumping their older rail mount C-More and the long 2 pc supporting rail mounts, to the miss-informed...

Edited by ohdsmith

No problem. You'll likely have to get an adapter or do some modification to fit the Burris.

FINAL SOLUTION

Sold my new Burris on eBay (took the $50 loss) :angry:

Sh--Canned the EAA out of date rail mount (took the $140 loss) :angry2:

Purchased the RHT C-More STS 4-hole Tanfoglio Mount :bow:

Purchased the STS C-More 7 :bow:

I hope this information will save someone else a lot of grief and cash... :cheers:

Edited by ohdsmith

Sorry, but I'm a little confused. How exactly is C-more doing something manipulative? Same with Tanfoglio?

Tanfoglio has never made more than the generic mount, and is not 'holding back' any other future product until cleaning out inventory. Frankly, they don't make any custom mounts for any sights, only the generic rails, and probably never will.

I also don't think that C-more is discontinuing the rail-mount. I think the STS is intended to augment, not replace, their current product line.

Fact is that most all mounts are designed for a specific sight and specific gun, and are made by 3rd party vendors. Since it takes time and effort to design the mounts, they make them for the most popular and largest market. Tanfoglio, unfortunately, is less popular in the USA, and does not represent a big demand. Same for the Burris. Furthermore, NEW mounts for new sights are slower to enter the market for less popular guns (like Tanfoglio).

Unfortunately, we either have to buy the 'popular' (read expensive) and well established dots and mounts for our Tanfoglios, or visit a gunsmith for a custom built version. I've been wanting an Aimpoint Micro for months. The mount and dot are around $700. I considered the Burris or Sig micro copy, but there are NO mounts for them. Oh well. Live with my cmore a little longer.

Oh, and that 1deg tilt is necessary to properly align the sight, otherwise you run out of vertical travel.