Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib and double charge loads

Of the squibs or double charges loaded on a 650 or a 1050, it would be interesting to know if a powder check was used and if a low powder alarm was used.

My first and only squib happened during my first ever reloading session. The failsafe rod was not adjusted properly. After the first squib, I threw out one thousand rounds of 9mm ammo. That was a painful lesson.

I had a few squibs. My press (LNL) was set up wrong, I was a new reloader, and hurrying for 100rds to go shoot that night.

1. Dont hurry.

2. Look at powder level

3. Double check press set up.

Had one 7 or 8 years ago, shooting a Para 45 in practice. Caught it and didn't pull the trigger again. Removed the lead with a squib rod, but stopped shooting and went home and took every round from that batch of reloads apart. But I didn't find any other rounds with low or no powder. It could only have been carelessness on my part. Fortunately, no damage was done. I had loaded it on a 650.

A month or two ago, I caught one while RO'ing at an IDPA match. The shooter stopped with no harm done.

Perhaps 10 or 12 years ago, a buddy of mine had one in his Thompson. Unfortunately, the bullet went far enough into the barrel so that he could chamber another round, which he did. And then he pulled the trigger. He now has a souvenir Thompson bulged barrel, but no other damage. He loaded his ammo on a Hornady progressive - not sure of the model.