Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL Powder Measures

I just ordered a LNL progressive press. I plan to continue to use my RCBS Chargemaster and single stage press for my hunting ammo and to use the LNL for my two high volume rounds which are 9mm Luger and .223. I ordered the new pistol rotor and a micrometer adjuster for it to use for 9mm. I am wondering since the LNL powder charges are relatively inexpensive if I should order another one to leave set up for .223? I am thinking that maybe having each one set up for a caliber will make things easier. When I switch calibers I can put the powder measure for that caliber on the press, throw a charge and weigh it to make sure it's still on, adjust if necessary and not bother switching between any rotors or anything. Does it make sense to do that?

I have a friend that is a machinist. If I go this route I was thinking of having him make a wall bracket with a thick metal top plate that is tapped to have the same threads as the press so that the powder measure not being used can be stored securely.

Other than the LNL powder measure itself, what other components would I want to order for .223? My most common load uses 25.7gr of H335 pushing a 55gr bullet. Would I want to get the rifle micrometer, or would the standard one work okay?

Thanks for any help or advice. I am looking forward to the press getting here. Loading a bunch of 9mm on a single stage has been tedious and really time consuming. As soon as I told my wife that the new press would leave me more time for my honey do list she was all for it.

A second powder measure all ready to go is very nice, especially if you'll be switching back and forth between pistol and rifle calibers. I dont' think the pistol rotor will measure 26 grains of powder out if it has much bulk to it. It may work if H335 is a very dense powder but I'm not sure. You could just see how close it is and if you have a friend who is a machinist have him cut some length off the insert so that way all you'd have to do is swap inserts.

You'll want a an extra case activated powder drop so you've got one adjusted for 9mm and one adjusted for .223. Adjusting the powder drop is the biggest pain when changing calibers. Swapping the insert is simple enough that I wouldn't bother with a second measure. I've got four (4) powder drops that I keep set for my common calibers and use a single measure.

Thanks for the thoughts. It sounds like maybe switching out the rotor might be pretty easily accomplished? Once I get my hands on it I'm sure I'll get a better feel. From what I've read, it sounds like switching out the rotor/measures are pretty easy.

Switching out the complete measure and powder drop or the insert is easier than switching out the rotor in my opinion. The complete measure is a turn, lift done deal. The insert is push pin, remove insert, insert insert, done deal. Changing the rotor requires removing the insert, remove two screws, sliding the rotor out, slide the other one in, reinstall screws and insert. Still not a "hard" swap but more time consuming. If you're going to load up a volume of one round then change over to the other swapping the rotor isn't bad but if you plan on doing some of each round every week I'd pick up a complete powder measure assembly and be done with it. I guess it depends on how often you plan on switching back and forth.

If you can afford it, having a separate measure for each powder is certainly nice. They do cost about $120 for each setup though (you need the powder measure and the Case-activated linkage kit).

You have done the first thing right for your rifle load though! (Using a ball powder is perfect) I use Ramshot TAC, but I bet H335 will meter well too.

Yes, a stand would be nice but it doesn't have to be that complicated. Just a hole of the proper diameter will work to keep the thing standing. I lay mine over on their sides - as long as they have about 1/4 or less powder in them the powder won't even move up to the cap.