Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginning to Look Hard at Reloading

I am new to reloading, this forum and the 550... But when I called Brian that is what he recommended and I could not be happier!!

I can use it as a progressive or as a "single stage"... To the OP... I was in your shoes about a year ago and I am so happy that I jumped into reloading! Granted there is alot to learn but you can gain tons of info here as well as all the reloading manuals. Maybe it is too soon for me to say I have had zero problems loading on a 550, but I personally think it has to do with how aware you are. I don't rush it and so far things have been great! My guess is you can screw up with any system you use...Its all in the attention you are giving to what you are doing...

My point exactly, Bart. It isn't the press, it's the operator. A loaded, cocked, off safety 1911 is as safe as can be, as long as someone doesn't pick it up. And, if they do pick it up, it's still safe, as long as the person picking it up knows the inherent dangers. Bart, do you own a 550? Load on one? Yes. Ever used one?

I don't really want to comment any longer, but I don't like ignoring questions.

I don't think that can be your point at all. Thumb safeties on a 1911 aren't even remotely the same....they're manual and need thought/effort to use. Auto-indexing is like anti-lock breaks...they work without thought or user input and they can save you when the human factor comes into play and you make a mistake.

You can debate it all you want, but manual indexing has an additional failure mode that auto-indexing doesn't. That makes it less safe...not "unsafe"...but less safe. R,

Edit to add: To avoid any confusion, Grumpy and I really aren't "fighting" or anything remotely like that...we get along quite well and have talked back and forth via PM on the subject (and others over time) to discuss it as it's sort of interesting. Here it's a very small part of the overall picture that we disagree about, and not the important part :)

Besides, we have agreed to disagree! ;)