Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Question

ncboiler

I have a STI (Bedell) 5" Limited gun... reverse plug, bull barrel. It had a 10lb recoil spring in it but I have purchased a 12.5 lb ISMI spring to put in the gun. The old spring is shorter than the new spring.

Should I just cut the new spring so it is the same length as the original spring?

Does it change the weight of the spring?

Or, should I cut down the 14lb ISMI spring that I bought?

Thanks.

I have a STI (Bedell) 5" Limited gun... reverse plug, bull barrel. It had a 10lb recoil spring in it but I have purchased a 12.5 lb ISMI spring to put in the gun. The old spring is shorter than the new spring.

Should I just cut the new spring so it is the same length as the original spring?

Does it change the weight of the spring?

Or, should I cut down the 14lb ISMI spring that I bought?

Thanks.

DON'T CUT ANY OF THE SPRINGS. Cutting spring will stiffen it when colapsed and make it weaker when extended. When the old spring is 1 1/2 coils shorter than a new one its worn out. The new spring will take a set and get shorter.

You didn't say if you were 9 or 40 or minor or major. In a 40 major gun try the 12.5 then try the 14 decide which one you like better. If you are shooting minor try the 12.5.

Make sure that you put the spring in with the open end of the spring towards the muzzle.

Shooting 40 major.

The 10lb spring has been in for less than 1000 rounds but is quite a bit shorter.

OK, the 12.5lb it is. Going to shoot it this weekend outdoors and then at the Buckeye Challenge. I'll test the 14lb spring at a later time.

You can't compare the length of a 10lb spring with a 12.5lb spring.

Two springs of the same weight and style from the same manufacturer, should be close to the same. You can't mix, and match.

Check the 12.5lb ISMI spring for coil bind when you first try it. That would be the only reason to cut it.

Thanks. I put it in last night and it doesn't seem to bind. I should be good to go.

This months front site I believe shows how to check for coil bind. But in short take the guide rod with spring and reverse plug and push the spring down till the reverse plug bottoms out against the guide rod. If you can't get it to the bottom because you run out of spring that is when you shorten the spring.

Next dig the reverse plug out of the ceiling.

Two things shooters can argue about all day is Open gun loads and Recoil springs rates. Reason is its all about feel and every gun and every shooter is different. As a Computer Scientist I pay attention to the laws of physics. The primary purpose of the recoil spring is slow the slide down, so a lighter slide hit with the same hammer will fly faster than a heavier slide, a need for a little more spring to accomplish the same slower speed of travel for the slide. Lighter bullets at the same pf in a non compensated gun produce more recoil and to accomplish the same slide speed take more spring.