Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Idpa Load

stryfox

I do not have access to a chronograph

I shoot IDPA at my local indoor range with a para 16-40 ltd.

I have (2000) 155 gr. Rainier FP.

I also have tons of bullseye powder, well not tons but lots. :D

I am looking for a load to make 125000 PF for enhanced service pistol class.

I want a light shooting load but want to at least mathematically try to be above the power floor.

I play it like a game but don’t want to cheat.

I know the only way to be sure it to get a chrono. but I am still trying to get some shooting buddies to chip in.

I did search the forum but found no info with bullseye.

Thanks for any help

I have various load data that has loads for bullseye and 155's but they are verry diffrent

Some state 3.9 for 800 fps and others 4.5 for 820 fps

With bulseye this is a BIG diffrence.

I was curious if anyone has worked up a minor load with 155 plated FP's and bullseye.(5" 1911)

I have been loading to 1.125" so they feed in my Sigs also

A chronograph is a must, you can't compete or for that matter even work up a load safely. Here is a link to the least expensive chrono on the market.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/531741

Alliant powders website lists 155, they are lead be carefull if you aren't using lead.

Here is the site: http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/index2.html

Good luck,

Kirk

Thanks I for the input.

I guess I need to go and get a chrono.

What modle is easy to transport and set up?

I only have access to indoor shooting so I'm not sure if I will have enough light.

Any suggestions for an indoor unit?

I got lucky and my wife got me a chrony brand chrono for Christmas. It's worked well so far. I have a 40 S&W and shoot 175gr cast SWC with 3 gr of bullseye at an ave of 775 fps. This gives me a little more than the 125,000 power factor. It has great accuracy and very little recoil it's lighter than my 9mm with 115gr at a 125 PF. The data I got was very different than what my loading manual listed. A Chrony is a must to ensure how it will shoot in your gun. Have fun. Mine ran about 109.99 with the memory and a remote readout.

Fox:

For the indoor work you can't beat the CED. You will need to get the optional Infra-red LED skyscreens. The whole deal will run you about $225. Dillon sells it, so I'm guessing that Brain can get it for you.

I have one and love it. You should see the people who get pissed when they realize that their chrono won't work at the indoor range, but see me blazing away and getting good readings.

BTW:

If you take to a range, other people will want to use it. I require a $75 cash deposit (that's the value of the parts that can get shot). No cash, no shoot. Yes, my screens have been shot a couple of times!!!

Stryfox- The infra-red setup from CED is the best setup. If you have access to 120 volts where you shoot, then you can get the indoor lighting setup for most other manufacturers for about 30 bucks. Without the lights or the infra-red, none of the chrono's will work indoors.

Guest Larry Cazes

I have used my shooting chrony indoors under incandescent spots without the diffusers in place but there is no guarantee that it will work under a given set of conditions. If you must use it indoors, as others have already stated buy one with a light setup.