Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell XT and CMC mags

Mattog22

I'm using a S&W 1911 and started out using the CMC power mags since the Wilson 47D would not seat easily at all. I am looking at getting a techwell XT and adding the extended basepadsCMC basepad to the CMC 8 rd power mags I currently own since I know they will not work without the extensions. Will this work with the techwell xt? I was also going to get some CMC 10 rd power mags as well for some 3-gun matches that I think should work fine. Before I buy this stuff I wanted to make sure it will all work together. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

It'll be close. With the Techwell XT I found that even Wilson mags with the DE basepad weren't really long enough to seat consistently unless you really hit it just right. I trimmed maybe .20" off the bottom of my XT and it's like night and day...no trouble seating mags even if you don't quite get your hand perfectly on the bottom of the basepad. R,

It'll be close. With the Techwell XT I found that even Wilson mags with the DE basepad weren't really long enough to seat consistently unless you really hit it just right. I trimmed maybe .20" off the bottom of my XT and it's like night and day...no trouble seating mags even if you don't quite get your hand perfectly on the bottom of the basepad. R,

Is the XT really that much deeper than the ICE?

after putting an Ice on my 1911 a week or two ago, i cant imagine the XT is any deeper. i know there are a few shooters who have teh techwells installed and im sure they'll be along.

Is the XT really that much deeper than the ICE?

I haven't measured an ICE yet....I've seen them, but that's it. I have an unmodified XT I can measure if you're interested. R,

I never compared the ICE and the XT, should have but didn't. If it makes any difference I use CMC mags with wilson baspads during my dry fire practice with my XT magwell and don't have any issues.

I never compared the ICE and the XT, should have but didn't. If it makes any difference I use CMC mags with wilson baspads during my dry fire practice with my XT magwell and don't have any issues.

I don't think I missed any reloads before I shortened it, but I found that dry fire (mostly static) wasn't quite the same as slamming home a reload while moving and some weren't as positive as I'd like. Read that as: a couple of times I hit a reload and thought "oh, I hope that seated"....out came the disc sander :)

I don't think I missed any reloads before I shortened it, but I found that dry fire (mostly static) wasn't quite the same as slamming home a reload while moving and some weren't as positive as I'd like. Read that as: a couple of times I hit a reload and thought "oh, I hope that seated"....out came the disc sander :)

ive actually had a few issues with that exact thing dryfiring with my new Ice. not used to having that big round part out front, haha. getting better with, just takes practice and i need to refine my form a bit.

I find I reload better when I'm on the move than when I'm doing it standing still....go figure. It might have something to do with that is typically what is happening during a match but I really don't practice that as much as I should it just works out well for me. Something else that might help me out is that my mags are 9.5 round .40 system mags so there isn't any round stacking going on. I wonder if you had a .45 system mag, a 10 rounder cut down, if the extra room for the rounds to move down would aid in seating.

Well, I got the XT today From a friend and ordered some extended basepads online a few minutes ago. Looking at the CMC power mags in the XT it seems like it won't need too much more length to work fine. I should get the pads in about 2 days so I'll update once I try them out. Then get out the sander if it seems necessary. Thanks to everyone for the helpful input.

Matt

...I wonder if you had a .45 system mag, a 10 rounder cut down, if the extra room for the rounds to move down would aid in seating.

you bring up an interesting idea... may have to make a call soon.

I find I reload better when I'm on the move than when I'm doing it standing still....go figure. It might have something to do with that is typically what is happening during a match but I really don't practice that as much as I should it just works out well for me. Something else that might help me out is that my mags are 9.5 round .40 system mags so there isn't any round stacking going on. I wonder if you had a .45 system mag, a 10 rounder cut down, if the extra room for the rounds to move down would aid in seating.

I don't know if I reload "better" on the move, but I think I'm probably more forceful, in general. I was thinking of some of the odd positions where you're moving and leaning etc. A couple of those oddball positions had me wondering. My mags are all 9-round Wilson, Tripp (system) or CMCs, so they're not really stacking at all.

Just measured my stock XT and it's .500" tall, excluding the tabs that go into the grip panels. My modified XT is a bit under .400", so I didn't take as much off as I thought, but it seems to make a big difference. R,

Hello,

I currently shoot a TRP Operator with the full length dust cover in L10 with the Techwell kit. I use the CMC 10 rounders, and have no problem. The Wilson 47DE sits almost flush with it, and I could never feel 100% positive when using them at the range during practice. I never used them during a match since I can't shoot single stack with the TRP anyway. If you are in the SF bay area by chance, you can borrow a couple of mine to try out. I have 12 of them... hahaha

Jerry

The 8 rd CMC mags with the extended basepad work great. Now I have a new problem; occasionally my slide won't lock back on the last round fired or when I pull the slide back manually on an empty mag. I discovered that if the follower on the mag is pushed all the way back against the spine or back of the mag the second plate of the follower will miss the slide lock tab and not allow it to hold the slide back. The gun only has about 1000 rds through it, I wouldn't think the tab is worn yet, has anyone else experienced something like this?

Thanks,

Matt

I also posted this in it's own thread since it doesn't really pertain to this original thread and I couldn't find anything using the search tool.