Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PW Autodrive set up?

I'm awaiting delivery of a slightly used PW Autodrive for my super 1050.

Fortunately my bench was left deliberately spartan, so today I begin the process of cleaning it off and making room for the new toy.

Any owners care to share set up tips?

For the moment, I'll probably be using the machine to process brass in large batches. Ideally, I want to set up the press to size/de-prime and swage with little to no operator involvement. I take the time (or get my kids) to sort my brass, so there is very little chance of a .40 winding up mixed in with my 9mm brass.

When I have all my 9mm brass processed, I plan on stripping the swager off the press, and running the cases through again to pre-prime when I have time to sit, watch, and refill the primer magazine.

I was planning on it.

Only major revision to my current bench is I'm moving the press to the left hand side of the bench. RePete had suggested mounting the power bar up high on the wall to tidy up the bench. Sounds like a sound idea.

I had deliberately left shelving off the to-do list when I built it. I figured I'd live with it for a while, and see where I needed them.

Edited by Canuck223

• 4 weeks later...

303.jpg

So here is a top view of the PW with the press bolted on. In adjusting the machine, the key seems to be setting the part that fits in place of the handle as square as possible, then adjusting the nut on either end of the threaded rod to keep the arm from flopping over. Problem is, you pretty much have to adjust the linkage length first, then fine tune it afterwords. In this picture, the aluminum block has not been adjusted correctly.

300.jpg

304.jpg

At RePete's suggestion, the power bar has been mounted high and the cables tied up to reduce clutter on the bench.

Hmm, I need to tinker a bit more. I loaded the beast up with brass and ran it tonight, just sizing and swaging the pockets. I was alarmed at the number of times the locating pins in the toolhead were moving the shellplate into final position.

Hmm, I need to tinker a bit more. I loaded the beast up with brass and ran it tonight, just sizing and swaging the pockets. I was alarmed at the number of times the locating pins in the toolhead were moving the shellplate into final position.

OK, so I'm beginning to think that part and parcel to owning a 1050 is just sitting and watching it work while someone else is operating it....

The indexing issue I spoke of above may not be an issue after all. I loaded the machine up with brass and ran 1000 cases without a hiccup. I think that when normally operating the press, I tend to move the handle up faster, as there is no load. That likely has been tossing the shellplate into final position. When running the PW, the speed is constant. The shellplate isn't always in final position with the toolhead at the top, but the locating pins nudge it into position when needed.

It should not matter what speed the press is running at it should index all the way each time. It sounds more like either the index pin is bent or the P.W. is not set to let the press go all the way up.

Brian

P.S. I have had mine for some time now.

It should not matter what speed the press is running at it should index all the way each time. It sounds more like either the index pin is bent or the P.W. is not set to let the press go all the way up.

Brian

P.S. I have had mine for some time now.

When I set it up, I adjusted it with the toolhead all the way down. I took your suggestion, and adjusted it so that it was all the way up. It seems to be working, with indexing 100% and it still sizes all the way to the shellplate.

Glad to hear that you got it working right now. Next you just need to watch for upside down cases trying to be fed into the machine while it is running. One thing to watch for is the clutch puck on mine tends to walk off of the shaft. You occasionally need to whack it back into position (I use the heel of my palm).

Brian

Canuck223,

What is the advantage to processing 9mm ammo? I'm just curious....

It seems like a lot of time an effort with very little gain. Since you have a 1050 and a powerdrive, why not get a bulletfeeder and have a fully automated machine? Also, if your swage your brass before hand, what advantage do you gain by removing the swager so you can pre-prime the brass?

I'm intrigued by your plan and mean no offense.

Canuck223,

What is the advantage to processing 9mm ammo? I'm just curious....

It seems like a lot of time an effort with very little gain. Since you have a 1050 and a powerdrive, why not get a bulletfeeder and have a fully automated machine? Also, if your swage your brass before hand, what advantage do you gain by removing the swager so you can pre-prime the brass?

I'm intrigued by your plan and mean no offense.

No offence at all. I have a Mr.Bulletfeeder and love it.

My reason for pre-processing brass is 50/50 OCD and just a general distaste for having a fowl up while loading ammo. I find most of my problems while loading relate to split cases, ringed primers, bent rims. By running the cases prior to risking components, my stress level drops. I remove the swager just to reduce the stress on the shellplate. Ya, I know if the back-up rod is adjusted in concert with the swager, the stress should be nil, but if you've got OCD and you know it, wash your hands.....

Glad to hear that you got it working right now. Next you just need to watch for upside down cases trying to be fed into the machine while it is running. One thing to watch for is the clutch puck on mine tends to walk off of the shaft. You occasionally need to whack it back into position (I use the heel of my palm).

Brian

On low, and using the white funnel insert, I've yet to have an upside down case.

Nice set up. Kinda reminds me of somwthing I once had! Enjoy.

Dude, I've been smiling like a virgin on prom night ever since you replied to my PM. You have no idea how much stress you saved me.

Thanks again!!!

Brian

Thank-you!!!!!

I had it happen this morning while I was cleaning my gun. I find I can simply listen, and hear when something doesn't sound right. I was right beside the machine, cleaning my GP6 and all of a sudden, the tone changed. I looked over and the arm is stalled. I switched it off and had a look, only to find the puck had come off the end enough that the key had slipped out.

It's not a hard fix, but knowing ahead of thim that it does happen saved me a lot of stress.