Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SVI IMM open in steel or plastic?

Loki999

Hi all,

I'am thinking of replacing my standard size SVI Infinity .38super for a shorter IMM version.

Last week i fired some rounds with an svi imm open with a steel frame, and it felt much heavier then my big svi, but wow i like to shoot that gun.

I could really control the dotmovement.

What are the pro's and con's of the steelframe?

Anyone switched to it already and how do you like it?

Hi all,

I'am thinking of replacing my standard size SVI Infinity .38super for a shorter IMM version.

Last week i fired some rounds with an svi imm open with a steel frame, and it felt much heavier then my big svi, but wow i like to shoot that gun.

I could really control the dotmovement.

What are the pro's and con's of the steelframe?

Anyone switched to it already and how do you like it?

Actually, all 2011 guns have a metal frame...it was only the grip that was plastic, not the frame. Lots of discussions on these. Search is your friend ;)

I would say the concept of controlling the dot movement sounds a bit odd to me, but that may just be an interpretation thing on my part :)

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99995&st=25&p=1147073entry1147073

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100677&view=findpost&p=1148383

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71019&view=findpost&p=821911

"Search is your friend"

yes i know, i tried to search but did'nt find what i wanted to know, thanks for the helpfull links!

With control of the dotmovement, i mean that the dot did'nt lift that much as my own gun and i could get it back on target faster then my own gun.

I would want to be completely sure that the ammo you shot through the IMM made Major in the IMM, before investing the $$ to have one.

Depending on the year & design of the the IMM gun, you could take rounds that make Major in most open guns and lose anywhere from 5 to 15 pf worth of velocity in the heavily ported barrel.

My current experience is with both the SV plastic and SS grips on my Limited guns. There is definitely an increase in weight with the steel grip, but it is back in your hand and adds to balance the the gun. I liked the feel so much I am having SV build me an IMM Open gun with the SS grip.

That's a good one!

It sounded like major:)

I worry a little bit about added time to transitions because of the extra weight.

This saturday, were going to an svidealer in Europe to look at different options.

With control of the dotmovement, i mean that the dot did'nt lift that much as my own gun and i could get it back on target faster then my own gun.

The first part is good, the second part....maybe not so much. You want the dot to be returning without effort/thought/etc....you shoot, it resets where it's supposed to be, not you getting it back where it's supposed to be. The fact that it's a different gun keeps the results there from meaning anything in relation to your current gun. The shorter guns can sometimes reset faster, but that can be seen as violent/snappy to some...it's a perception thing that works with how your brain/eyes are wired.

That aside, it seems that opinions on the grips are 50/50...almost have to just try one on your gun and see if it's better for you. R,

I have an SV IMM open gun with the plastic grip. The gun has less than 5000 rounds thru it. I went to 9mm open guns. If anybody is interested let me know. It has all the bells and whistles. No mags available.

The gun is excellent. I am tired of picking up brass. With my 9mm guns I just leave it on the ground. Will make somebody a great deal it is just sitting in my safe. My current project plans is to have a tactical bolt gun built. Selling the SV will make a dent in that project.