Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some load help

L-10_shooter

I have a friend that recently bought a .338 lapua rifle and wants me to load for it. HE has some 250gr lapua scenar, and 250gr barnes tac-X bullets on order right now. Looking at load data and briefly searching other forums Hogdogon Retumbo looks like the powder of choice. Anyone have any advice/tips for this caliber, thanks!

Retumbo and H1000 are both good powders to use for the 338LM. There is a lot of good load data to be found on Sniper's Hide in the forum referenced by the poster above as well as other places on that site.

What type rifle does your friend have? the 300gr SMK's or 300gr Scenars are generally considered best for long range shooting depending on the barrel twist.

The rifle is a Barrett 98B with a brake on it. 27 inch barrel with 1-10 twist. I keep reading about Retumbo so I will have to try it in the rifle and see how it works. Any idea how temp sensitive Retumbo, H1000 and H4831 are?

What rifle do you have Tom? OAL of the 250gr Scenar?

Edited by L-10_shooter

What rifle do you have Tom? OAL of the 250gr Scenar?

Right now I am using a Surgeon XL with a Lilja barrel. I have had an AIAW on order for a while. When it shows my Surgeon will be up for sale.

It is a single shot so I throated it long to make more room for powder and to keep the base of the bullet clear of any donut issues.