Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking in a New Hat Cam at match

IdahoShooter

Been a while since I've posted over here, but I've been reading Brian's book through again and wandered back over here to the forums. Good stuff.

I just got a hat cam and shot last month's match with it, found it very enlighting to go back and watch myself in a self critique. This camera is a GoPro Hero Wide, wide meaning it has a 170 fisheye on it, it's hard to see long range, but it's cool because you can see a lot of what is going on.

This was my favorite stage, it felt smooth, relaxed, I naild the first reload, and even though a wall fell down due to wind as I was shooting, it didn't mess me up as I was shooting. I shot this down zero.

This one was a 25 yard El Prez, been working on my long range shooting and it showing, I shot this down 4, and was the fastest for the day, even though I had a hesitation on the reload.

Brian

You like your GoPro Hero ? Am thinking about a small video camera and the ruggedness and mount options look good. Is the resoloution good compared to say a Flip ? How did you mount it.

Boats

You like your GoPro Hero ? Am thinking about a small video camera and the ruggedness and mount options look good. Is the resolution good compared to say a Flip ? How did you mount it.

Boats

I don't have another hat cam to compare it to, but so far yes, I do like it. The wide angle is what I like the most, being able to see to the left and right and not just right in front, and it allows me to see my reloads and things in front and down. The aiming needs a little more refining, but so far so good. Comparing it to other hat cams, the field of view is very limited, it has it's pros and cons.

Never used a Flip so can't compare that. The resolution is perfect for going straight to youtube, which was my main goal, with out a lot of editing, video compressing, etc...

I'll take some pictures of the mount... it looks geeky... and there is no question that you have a hat cam on, not as stealthy looking as some others, but at the price, I really couldn't find anything else. I just drilled some holes in the bill of my hat, and zip tied the mount to the brim, little dremel action, and it's good to go. I can pull the camera off between shoots and still have the hat on, and the camera returns to it's point of aim when I put it back on.

Took a few pics of the camera and the mount.

The camera slides on and off the mount, it is solid when mounted, and comes off really easy. I looks like it would be nose heavy, but it's not, this camera is light. You can pull the camera off, and set it down range on the little base and aim it, and get some cool in front of the gun shots as well.

152j4o7.jpg97mrli.jpg

21jbnrq.jpg

Thanks

Thats just what I wanted to see. Lots of Mountain Bike riders use the GoPro but I sort of figured it was too heavy for hats. Looks like it works fine. It's a tough camera from what I hear

Boats