Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double feed

Just received another new Limited .40 (2nd one), but having double feed problem.

(Next round jamming against the case being extracted.)

The gun was fine in the first 100 rounds. And the problem start every 10-20 rounds.

The mags should be fine since they’ve been uesd on my other one.

Any idea why?

My load – 180g / Universal 5.4gr / 1.185 OAL - same as the other.

Why ?????

Just received another new Limited .40 (2nd one), but having double feed problem.

Why ?????

Pictures of the jam itself are always helpful.

It does not sound like a classic double feed based upon what you stated.

Is the round being extracted stuck against the slide and barrel (i.e. stovepipe)?

Does it do it with all of the mags or just one or two?

Does it happen during the first few rounds of the mag or the last few?

Edited by ks-shooter

Look at the brass of the double fed round. See if there is a scrape or gouge in the case made by the slide. I have seen double feed issues when the ledge of the slide that picks up the brass is sharp. You will have to round off the edge of the ledge so that it will not gouge into the next round which pulls it forward and causes it to jam.

Why ?????

Pictures of the jam itself are always helpful.

It does not sound like a classic double feed based upon what you stated.

Is the round being extracted stuck against the slide and barrel (i.e. stovepipe)?

Does it do it with all of the mags or just one or two?

Does it happen during the first few rounds of the mag or the last few?

It usually happen on the first few rounds

looks like the extractor did not grap the case from the barrel and the slide tried to push the 2nd round in.

Makes the 2nd round "bullet" are up against the bottom of the 1st round which is still in the barrel.

Some said the gun are too new, if I can go 2-3000 round everything will get smooth........?????

I am thinking if it doesn't work at the first place, how can it goes better.

Will that somthing to do with tension of the extractor?

Once you drop the magazine and close the slide on the chambered expended round does it extract and eject smoothly without bind? Sounds like an extractor issue unless the chambered round is tight, in which case check your ammo/chamber.

If there is an empty case left in the chamber, then you have an extraction issue. This is usually caused by an improperly tuned extractor OR the extractor spring is worn out. Listed below is a link to Henning's website that has a technical bulletin on tuning the extractor depth. Even though the bulletin talks about 38 super, it also applies to .40 S&W. I would also suggest using the Wolff extra power extractor spring. This lets the extrator get a more secure hold on the rim of the brass during the extraction process. The stock extractor spring starts to get really weak after only a few thousand rounds.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech.tanfoglio.extractor.html

If there is an empty case left in the chamber, then you have an extraction issue. This is usually caused by an improperly tuned extractor OR the extractor spring is worn out. Listed below is a link to Henning's website that has a technical bulletin on tuning the extractor depth. Even though the bulletin talks about 38 super, it also applies to .40 S&W. I would also suggest using the Wolff extra power extractor spring. This lets the extrator get a more secure hold on the rim of the brass during the extraction process. The stock extractor spring starts to get really weak after only a few thousand rounds.

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/tech/tech.tanfoglio.extractor.html

It sounds like the extractor problem. yes, empty case left in the chamber and also come right out easy after dropping mag.

Thanks all for the info. I will try change the extractor. Just not really happy it happen on a brand new gun. :angry2:

I certainly agree it is an extraction issue and that is the place to look. It is a new gun and I would let the factory know that you are having a problem. That said, before I would return it to the factory I would compare the extractor on the new gun with the extractor on the older gun. If you see a major difference, I would get a new extractor (buy two) and change it when you change the extractor spring. What bothers me is that you said the "stuck" case comes out easily which to me means that the extractor never even got a decent grip on it to begin with. Since it works 95% of the time it is hard to believe the extractor itself is bad, but it is possible. I would also make sure that your slide speed is slowing down and not coming fully into battery. I personally do not grease the slide or frame "rails". Since they are full length and you have lots of contact space, I only use synthetic oil on the rails. Make sure they are staying wet and that the hammer contact area has lubrication.

It is difficult to run down a problem that only happens 5% of the time and apparently not consistently. However, you are going to have the most pressure from the magazine rounds on the slide during the first few feeds, so again, make sure that that center rail on the bottom of the slide has lube on it. I know that both of my limited guns will fire out of battery (slide is closed but the barrel is still not locked up). Good luck :cheers: