Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which revolver?

Peter F.

I searched the forum and didn't find the info I am looking for.

I was wondering which revolvers are being used in competition. I am looking at the S&W 625 but was just seeing what others are shooting. Thanks.

First we need to know what kind of competition we are talking about. USPSA,

ICORE, IDPA (ESR or SSR)etc.. In a nutshell,

USPSA- 5" 625, some guys use a 610 as well.

ICORE- the 627's are the most popular. 625 still work well here as well.

IDPA- ESR, 4" 625 are the norm.

SSR, Lots of choices, 686's are popular, lots of other choices as well.

Tom

If you are going to be shooting USPSA with the slimmest possibility of shooting ICORE or IDPA go with the 625JM or Performance Center model. Yes you give up an inch of barrel length, but you can one gun it for three different competitions and you can change easily to the front sight of your preference. You should anticipate having a trigger job done on the gun of choice as the factory triggers seem to leave much to be desired. Try to stick with a caliber that you can make major power factor easily with. The minor seems to give up so much in points and is not legal for use with moonclips in IDPA. Just my $.02.

Edited by Forrest Halley

As you are in Louisianna, they have an ICORE contigent in a couple of places might I suggest a K or L frame. Smith or a good Ruger. :sight: ICORE has a Retro Division where you shoot speedloader revos in the Limited format. If you already own one of the these Revos you can get in cheaply and see if this is the division for you in ICORE or USPSA. For the most part when you shoot Revo at a local match there are very few Revo shooter there to campare with. Having said that there were 5 Revo shooters at USSA in Tulsa today and Stage wins went out to three of us so it was somewhat close competition. There was a big discussion here a few years back. I will see if I can do a search to find it. later rdd

Contact Mike Carmoney on this forum. See Carmonize in the Dealer Section. Mike is the man when it comes to tuning S&W revolvers. I am sure he can help you out. If you are not going to shoot IDPA definately buy a 5" barrelled 625.

The other posts are correct. 625 is the way to go to be competitive.

As to your question. My game is USPSA. I shoot a Model 25-2 and enjoy it. I usually do a match each year with my GP100 too. These are not competitive revolvers (and I am not a competitive shooter for that matter), but I enjoy them and like to work on skills for their use as well.

For me, "practical," and shooting the wheels are not about being the fastest at the match.

Edited by Mr Glack