Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying with ammo

So once I went to California and tried to take ammo with me. I was stopped in the airport and did not know how to transport the ammo. Since then I have mailed it or drove. Will the Dillion blue plastic boxes work?

Thanks

According to the TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

# You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

# You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

# You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

# You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

I have yet to do this, but the two airlines I typically fly are Airtran and Delta. Both sites claim 11 lbs as the limit of ammunition. I haven't weighed the complete round of my .40 ammo, but I imagine it to be around 4 lb / 100 rounds with the MTM red boxes I use. So that would be just under 300 rnds. It reads as though the plastic individually sized (slots for each round) should be permitted, but I typically carry around 500 rounds for a match, so I will probably ship ahead of time when I do this the first time.

I us the 100 count blue Dillon boxes and never had a problem, and I only fly Alaska Airlines because they lets you carrier up to 50 lbs. of ammo for domestic travel and 11 lbs. for internationals travel.

Edited by 9supercomp

What I've done is dug up some used factory ammo boxes and used them, or Midway sells cardboard type ammo boxes with styrofoam inserts, very simular to what factory ammo comes in. Personally I think the Dillon boxes should be good but when dealing with people in charge what I think doesn't really matter. I just use what is descrided in their rules so I don't have the hassle.

Whenever I fly with ammo, I use factory boxes (even though it isn't factory ammo), since that is well within the description the TSA and the airlines have on their websites. Most airlines allow up to 11lbs- but that can vary (ie Alaskan Airlines). I make it a point to go to the TSA and the Airline's websites and print out the instructions they have for bringing anything like that. More than once I have encountered a ticket agent or TSA officer that does not know the rules. At the very least you can say "well this is the information that I was going by, please let me know if it is incorrect".

I fly with the plastic dillon cases. I have flown with bandaliers with 223 on stripper clips. I have also flown with more than 11#, I just split it up into more than one bag. At Reagan they took each and every bullet out of the case and inspected it (yeah 300 of them) while I watched.

Make absolutly sure you have no ammo, gun parts, or even spent brass on you or in a carry on, or you will spend a bunch of time talking to a LEO, and you better have a good story.

I ship ammo when I can, then you know it is there and you got plenty too much, most times I fly back with some I shipped.