Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the best sights for a 3 Gun Shotgun.

swandme

My 1100 Tactical needs help to put the slugs in the right place.

What kind of sights do you like best for your ShotGun for all purpose 3 gunning including Slugs .

Ghost ring Ect.

Photo's if you have them.

Thanks

SWandME

Williams Fire Sights are tough to beat. The have rib-mounted versions as well as barrel-mounted. Red fiber optic front and green fiber optic rear (3 dot) with a nice long sight radius. You can accurately and confidently hit 50-100 yard slug gongs with those sights and still take the flyers, flippers, movers and other close range clays. A lot of guys go with a bead and that's fine for flyers, but you really need rifle sights for precision work. 50, 75 and 100 yard slug targets are more common and a bead doesn't cut it.

I have been all over the map with this topic. the one lemon-hunnert started out wearing the williams fire sights. the other lemon-hunnert still has its it Fudd style quarter inch in diameter fibre optic rod front "sight". at one point I splurged and bought two of the LPA ghost ring rears, but I never got around to installing them. that might be a good thing though...because I saw what the USAMTU is using on their Benelli's. it is some sort of tube like rear "hoop" sight mounted to the rib. if you were to do a search for my screenname in this subforum I think you will find my thread with the screen shot pic of their shotgun.

at some point I would like to cobble something up that replicates the USAMTU sight. I reckon clamping something to the rib would be a less risky option vs. trying to drill and tap the receiver for a ghost ring rear. the other possible advantage would be that I could return the shotgun to a from the factory condition unmarred. . .like if I ever wanted to sell it.

just an FYI... I was all "geeked out" at one time about shotgun sights a couple years back. the more experienced and mored accomplished 3 gunners on this forum said to just go with a fiber optic front and that's it. they all said you'd be surprised how accurate you could be with just that. seeing how expensive slugs are and how hard to find the reduced recoil remington slugs are, I only got to do a little experimenting and they were right.

I'm not that great with the scatter gun but mine has a 10/22 flip up rear dove tailed into the rib and a FO front sight. Combo works great...when you remember to flip up the rear lol.

This sounds Great can you post some pics and details on the install.

I have a couple 10/22 bbl around from target bbl upgrades that might have some sights.

Thanks in advance

SWandME

I use the Williams Fire Sights as well. Easy to install and I like having the rear fiber optic so it can be seen easier. Some people don't like having the rifle sights for shooting quick moving targets like flying clays and such, but I don't have a problem with that.

My shotgun barrels started out with rifle sights -- I've replaced them with Ashley Express sights, ignoring the rear for anything within birdshot range, utilizing it for slugs and occasionally buckshot....

They're fast, and there's nothing to flip up -- so using the rear or not using it, is similar to dialing the vision up or down with a handgun, depending on what the target requires....