Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xl650 primer issues

I recently switched over to large pistol primers on my 650 after loading spp with no issues. I replaced the tube inside with the large primer tube, changed the plate out to large primer and filled it up. I am having an issue with the primer in the number one position (the one that would be seated if there was a case present) flipping over instead of being pushed over into the unused primer slide. When this happens, on the next pull of the press the flipped primer gets mangled and binds the whole system up. Even though it should work without a case present, I decided to prime a few .45 cases just to see what happened, some primed ok, but the majority of them ended up with primers inserted sideways in the flash hole.

Anyone have any thought on what could cause this?

I did verify to ensure that I was indeed using large pistol primers :)

You said that you replace the primer tube and primer plate, but did you also put in the large seater assembly (part #21830)?

I had the primer jamming stuff up happen to me as well. For me, there were two causes:

1) My bench mount wasn't stable enough. For smooth draws and pushes on the press, no problems with the primer jumping up onto its side (or flipping completely over), but the moment I've got case that didn't have enough lubricant on it as it goes into the decapping/resizing die, then I could get the primer to jump up.

2) I had a worn out seater where the center pin was not flush with the body anymore. As primers slide across the top, the elevated pin would cause the primer to flip. I simply called Dillon to get a replacement, and they got one out to me in a matter of days. I was not in any rush to reload, but if I was desperate, I would have filed down the top of the pin until it was flush with the body once again.

So with the fixed seater, I just occasionally run into #1 due to not putting enough lubricant on the cases. (People swear by OneShot, but I prefer the Dillon Case Lube.) When a primer does get on it's side and jams stuff up, I back off the handle a little bit and use an allen wrench to lay the primer back down into the plate.

Edited by Skydiver

You are right skydiver, I forgot to mention that I also have the large seater installed. I have a very sturdy bench that is also attached to the wall for extra stability, so im not sure if that would be it in my case. I will take a close look tonight to make sure that it is operating smoothly without the bench flexing.

Thanks!

If you are still flipping primers, take the primer assembly off the press and run your finger along the primer path checking for burrs, sharp edges, etc. Basically anything that can catch the primer. The entire primer path should also be flat.

Check the primer disk for burrs also.

LIGHTLY lube the axle/center hole in the primer disk.

When you reattach the primer assembly, center the primer disk hole with the primer ram. I do this by removing the toolhead and sighting straight down the assembly while tightening the assembly screws.

Ditto the solid bench.

Make sure you are smoothly operating the handle of the press. Lubing you cases, even if using carbide dies, will help.

Sometimes the powder funnel/neck expander grabs the case and will jar the press when it releases. I have heard, but have never tried, lightly scratching the surface of the powder funnel with a scotchbrite pad. Use at your own risk.

HTH

650 Rotary Priming System Adjustment Notes

• Periodically (every 10,000 rounds or whenever you change primer size) lube the Axel Pin (in the middle of the primer disc) with grease.
  • Make sure the primer seating punch / bushing assembly is threaded all the way up into the platform. The top of the bushing should be flush with the platform.
  • The primer seating punch should be between flush with the top of the bushing to .020" below the top. There's no adjustment, it would be out of spec because of a collapsed spring or it's dirty.
  • Clean the interior of the primer magazine tube periodically. (Small cleaning patch with alcohol.)
  • If the disc doesn't rotate full travel (the primer hole in the disc isn't lined up with the primer seating punch) there are 3 possible causes:
    1. Short stroke on the handle is the most likely.
    2. Either wear to the primer cam, or the primer index arm is damaged.
    3. If the primer index arm fails to return, either the srping is damaged or the arm is bent.

[*]If an unused primer doesn't fall out of the primer disc, that can be a problem. Polish each end of each primer hole with a tapered cratex wheel/Dremel Tool.

Forum thread on 650 priming:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68532