Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Uppers

buckaroo45

Anybody know if the slide / barrel / mags from a 40 S&W Witness Match will go on a .41 AE Ultra frame?

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

I don't know for sure but I don't think so. the current eaa inported guns are all large frame and I think the old 41 AE guns were small frame. if you have the 41 frame on hand you can measure the mag opening the small frame mags are 1.25" x .8" and the large frame mags are 1.345" x .85"

Mike

Got an update on my "Ultra" question. Per EAA it turns out this model was imported around 89'-90' when the company was known as F.I.E.. Esentially a small frame version as opposed to the current "large frame" models currently being sold. It takes current small frame conversion kits for 9mm, 40 S&W and 22lr and uses the currently produced standard small frame magazines. I've found the 9mm and 41 AE use the same breechface specs and are convertable with barrels / mags. The 40S&W has different breechface specs meaning the slide must be changed to use that caliber. As for the .41 AE mags being usable for 40S&W, I don't know. Anybody have a take on that question?

As a further point of interest I have attached pics of the Ultra. It has "IPSC Approved" on the slide and the IPSC shield on the right side of the frame. I thought that was interesting instead of our USPSA. Barrel, trigger and hammer have been jeweled and the slide/barrel have been drilled as a compensator along with red dot mounts drilled in the frame. It also has an extended mag release. Very clean and superior condition. Appears to have been in a safe for some time. :goof:

Edited by buckaroo45

I picked up the exact same gun when I was stationed in Europe back in the 90's. I had a Whichita adjustable sight (remembers them)sunk into the rear of the slide and had a German smith dovetail a new blade in from the front in between the holes in the slide. Turned it into a very nice pistol.

I load and shoot .41 AE in both the Ultra and in my Hi Power conversion using both the Sierra 170 JHP's and 170 gr TC bullets cast in a Lyman mould that was made specifically for the .41 AE.

The .41 AE is fun to shoot but I also had a Briley 9mm barrel fitted to the AE slide and bought some 9mm mags. This gun turned into the most accurate 9mm I have ever shot with cast bullets. I have run massive amounts of lead 9mm through this gun shooting steel.

Then I realized I had the .41 AE mags I wasn't using so I picked up a complete EAA .40 S&W conversion upper back when Brownells still sold them. The .41 AE mags work fine with .40 ammo.

Neal in AZ

That's what I like about the be forum. Seems there is always someone with an answer to just about anything with guns. My thanks to all. :cheers:

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me