Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

160 gr 9mm moly for suppressor

ben b.

I'm thinking of some 160 gr lead moly coated/black/etc bullets to make a new 9mm load for a few muzzle cans I have. The moly should prevent lead buildup in my muzzle cans. The object is giggle enhancement via maximum schmack with minimum ruckus.

1) Any experience with moly from a muzzle can?

2) Any experience with 160 gr 9mm loads?

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by ben b.

No experience with a suppressor but 160gr moly in my .38 super revo built up some sort of hard plastic crud on the compensator pretty quickly. I removed the comp and it still gets a little build up around the crown.

Moly "will" build up in a can, how fast is the question? Give AAC or whoever built your can a call. The best bet is JHP as no lead is exposed to the gas.

Note: A suppressor is just a big compensator with an outer sheath. Lead and moly are no no's

Edited by blkbrd

No experience with a suppressor but 160gr moly in my .38 super revo built up some sort of hard plastic crud on the compensator pretty quickly. I removed the comp and it still gets a little build up around the crown.

What did it take to get the crud off? Brute force, or did it dissolve/soften easily?

What did it take to get the crud off? Brute force, or did it dissolve/soften easily?

Not a good Idea at all still a lot of buildup from the molly coated lead and it is really hard to remove. You can buy these bullets http://www.thebulletworks.net/09-147-PL-RN-p/09-147%20pl%20rn.htm for the same price with no buildup except for powder residue. It really amazes me how much residue there is from the powder don't need any from the bullets.

I use my minor 9mm loads (plated 147s) in my smg and 9mm ar, both of them are suppressed. They run fine and no mess.

If you really want a sub sonic thumper ditch they 9mm and get a 458 socom, if you think a SS 160g is a neat idea you should hear the wack of a 510g poking along at 1000fps.

Edited by jmorris

I have used the following neavy bullets in 9mm for supressed loads.

147gr RN Lead with wax lube, lead nbuild up in supressor was unacceptable, otehrwise shot well and quiet.

147gr FN, 150gr SWC, 158gr RN and SWC all Polymer (Gold in colour) coated. Some nasty material did build up after a very large amount of ammunition, it clearly contained lead and some sort of goo that could be the burned off Polymer, however, it was relatively easily removed and after proepr cleaning and reassembly suppressor was fine.

plated 147gr Flat Nose, better than the Polymer, but with the plating being so thin some lead was exposed and a very small amount of hard silver residue was found in the first cavity of suppresssor.

147hr Zero JHP, by far the best projectile I used, (I am sure that any other brand of JHP will work as well, all we can get eaily here is Zero) accurate and much reduced muck in the suppressor. Same in a compensated gun, but you see the muck in the comp real easy. I also ran some supersonic 125gr JHP through for comparison, accuracy for my firearms was best with JHP, and cleanup was a breeze. Non disassemblable units were cleaned in a parts cleaner and oil and set aside. Takedown were also cleaned in parts cleaner, for the poly / lead projectiles some scrubbing and scaping required to remove the residue.

If time is important, stay away from anything otehr than proper Jacketed projectiles, JHP preferred for expansion, FMJ or CMJ will work for all other purposes. Abso;utely no exposed lead on base of bullet.