Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV Powder for AR15

pjb45

I am starting to shoot 3Gun now. I need some load information for VV powders. I will probably standardize of 69SMK but will venture into 75 gr bullets for RM3G match. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am shooting a 1-8 JP and have a 1-9 Bushmaster. I will re-barrel the Bushmaster with a LW or something similar over the summer.

Thanks

paul

The best load I found with 69gr SMKs and VV140 for my 18" CTR-02 was with 26.1gr, giving me almost 2900 fps (close to 3000 out of my 20" WOA barrel!)

10 round groups were just over an inch at 200y, this with a 4x scope, almost 8k rounds through the barrel and me behind the trigger, so improve on all/any those three and it might get a bit better...

However, this is a compressed load over recommended max load, so I backed it down to just over 25gr, which gives me ~2750fps (2850 out of the 20") and groups that are slightly larger (~1.5" @200), but I figured that was still good enough for what we do..

Edited by gose

The best load I found with 69gr SMKs and VV140 for my 18" CTR-02 was with 26.1gr, giving me almost 2900 fps (close to 3000 out of my 20" WOA barrel!)

10 round groups were just over an inch at 200y, this with a 4x scope, almost 8k rounds through the barrel and me behind the trigger, so improve on all/any those three and it might get a bit better...

However, this is a compressed load over recommended max load, so I backed it down to just over 25gr, which gives me ~2750fps (2850 out of the 20") and groups that are slightly larger (~1.5" @200), but I figured that was still good enough for what we do..

Wow, 26.1gr must have been *really* compressed, because 25.1gr is already compressed (with 69 smk's at OAL about 2.245").

Wow, 26.1gr must have been *really* compressed, because 25.1gr is already compressed (with 69 smk's at OAL about 2.245").

Yeah, but it was very consistent over the chrono and shot wonderful groups :)

The 25.1gr load grouped more than good enough at 400y this last weekend though, so I'm sticking with that...

When I was shooting NRA High Power I had great consistency and groups from 24.6gr. VV 140 and a 69gr. SMK, also 24.4gr. RE-15. I love VV powders but the availability forced me to change and I never went back.

For 3-gun I have transitioned to 52&55 grain Hornady pills inside 300 yards with 24.35gr X-Terminator. The X-Terminator is a semi fast powder that proved ultra clean is soft shooting and meters fabulous in my 650, giving great 300 yard groups using a full progressive setup. In seeking every 10th I found the lighter bullets give a lower recoil impulse, work the comp better and allow faster accurate shooting.

Long range I have gone to the 77gr. SMK and 24.0gr. RE-15. They hit flash targets ie Larues like a brick and shoot fabulous.

Yeah, but it was very consistent over the chrono and shot wonderful groups :)

The 25.1gr load grouped more than good enough at 400y this last weekend though, so I'm sticking with that...

Did you try anything between 25.1 and 26.1? Looks like 25.9 is the max. I thought I had tried everything up to max but apparently not. I think I'll need to load up some heavier loads and see what happens. From what you're saying it sounds like more powder = better accuracy. I also saw lower SD the more powder I put in (up to 25.1 that is).