Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Tac-5 Illegal for SSP?

COF

" Postkct45acp, on 23 March 2010 - 10:33 PM, said:

IDPA made the Para ordance tac s illegal for SSP even though it is double action because para put a magwell on it from the factory"

When did this happen and where is the ruling? I discussed the Tac-5 with Robert a couple years ago but never heard from him nor have I seen anything official saying it was illegal for SSP

Jerry

Edited by COF

• 3 weeks later...

The Tac Five makes weight for SSP, I've got one and shot it in SSP. The question is the magwell. IDPA rule book says you can't have an added magwell, this magwell is not added it's a part of the grip. I think it's a grey area.

• 2 months later...

The Tac Five was ruled illegal for SSP sometime ago. The new rulebook addendum now includes the word "features" which applies to the mag well. Had IDPA not taken this stance manufacturers could simply make a model with some feature not allowed and the gun would have been legal.

Take Care

Bob

The Tac Five was ruled illegal for SSP sometime ago. The new rulebook addendum now includes the word "features" which applies to the mag well. Had IDPA not taken this stance manufacturers could simply make a model with some feature not allowed and the gun would have been legal.

Take Care

Bob

Ok, I'll bite. What does the word "features" in the rule addendum have to do with the Tac-5? This reference is to non-IDPA legal modifications for ALL divisions. There isn't even a reference specific to the SSP division in the addendum.

I opened this thread because some folks had postulated that the Tac-5 had been deemed illegal for SSP but no one has been able to provide a reference for said banning. Do you have this reference, Bob?

Jerry

I understand the question as they referred the addendum change to one specific section, but "add on" magwells are clearly not permitted in SSP, so if the factory produces two similar models one with and one without a magwell only the one without would be SSP legal as long as it meets all the other criteria. Or the other way to look at it is if it can be removed and the pistol can be used without the magwell, then it's not legal in SSP with the magwell.

I understand the question as they referred the addendum change to one specific section, but "add on" magwells are clearly not permitted in SSP, so if the factory produces two similar models one with and one without a magwell only the one without would be SSP legal as long as it meets all the other criteria. Or the other way to look at it is if it can be removed and the pistol can be used without the magwell, then it's not legal in SSP with the magwell.

Or you can look at what the rulebook says "no add-on magwells" to mean no added magwells. The Tac-5 comes from the factory with the magwell. Here's the ironic part, the Tac-5 was listed under the LE section...

There's no way IDPA HQ is going to agree that's SSP. I don't care that it's part of the frame. The way the magwell flares out at the bottom of the grip makes it no different from an add on magwell.

Admit it Ken, you were peeking when I shot it :lol: