Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Zone enough?

leam

Well suffice it to say we deviate from our ancestral foodways at our own peril.

It's obvious nothing I say will change your mind. In the future, I highly encourage you to try it for a month or two and see how you look, feel, and perform. That will be better evidence than any book you or I can cite.

Hmm...I think you have helped me think through some stuff, so don't worry that I'm not listening. If you want someone not to listen, I'll let you talk to my teenager...

This summer, if not sooner, the wife and son are going to TX to visit her family. I can plan on some more basic meals then and see how things shape up. On the weight front, the "B" day turned into a "car spewing gasoline in the engine compartment" day. Ugh! So no weights until Thursday. Did work on the eye movement stuff and tossing my hackey sack back and forth. Happily, [racticing this is cheaper. :)

Thanks!

Leam

• 4 months later...

Try to get on a squad with shooters a class or two above you. Watch and learn how they move and break down a stage. You'll not be able to go as fast as them. Train wrecks happen when you try so take your time and as has been said many times here, "Shoot A's as fast as possible". Progression comes with time. Be successful!

Shoot with better shooters and watch how they break a stage down to shoot it. I know when I started I would shoot a Steal that would activate a trunner of clam shell, and stand there a wait for the target. Now I look for something to shoot before the mover moves.

Some times you just have to go for it.

• 1 month later...

Did some number crunching, now that I have a timer. Interesting stuff but I'm not sure what to make of it. Suggestions welcome.

First, introductions. I am a USPSA D class shooter. Boopsie is an Argentine Sistema that's as old as I am. She has a heavy but crisp trigger and the Gov't speed bump sighits. The other gun is a S&W M-28 that's been tuned and has real sights, including a fibre optic front. I have a couple years and couple K rounds more familarity with Boopsie, so that will skew the numbers.

Raw Split, unaimed:

Boopsie-0.182

M-28 - 0.218

Difference - 0.036

Aimed Split; 8.5" plates at 10 paces, mostly from low ready:

Boopsie: High: 1.59, Avg 0.98, Low .68

M-28: High: 1.25, Avg 1.170, Low .82

Difference - Average 0.19, Low 0.14.

Didn't think to track misses and total success until the end. What is mildly interesting is that both the lowest and highest averages on Boopsie seem to be when I shot 6 for 6. So there's deviation in my technique. Didn't someone say "smooth is fast"? Smooth is probably more consistant, too. It is interesting to see less deviation in the M-28. I'm almost firmly convinced it's the sights. The M-28 has a much larger and crisper sight picture, making reaquisition that much easier.

Any other things I should think to measure for this?

Thanks!

Leam

Edited by leam

Hi, LEAM! Getting back to the original question: No, the zone is not enough.

In truth, "the zone" is nothing at all. Rather, it is the absence of things. Pride is absent. Judging is absent. Spiritual noise is absent. The grain of sand that is falling in the hourglass is not stored in the top section for the future fall. It is not piled up in the bottom section where it once fell in the past. It is fully alive and presently in motion. That grain of sand is in the zone.