Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting low at 20-yards or longer

gunzoo

My skills are improving and the time at the range is helping immensely but I'm having one heck of time with long shots. When taking shots of 20-yards or more, my shots are hitting insanely low. On an IDPA target, I aim at the "-0" and I end up hitting "-3". THis ends up being 12"-18" low. I'm lining up the front sites and taking the extra time to make the shot but for some reason, I'm blowing the shot consistently. Any thoughts on what my issue is or what I can do?

I'm shooting a Glock 34 with 147gr bullets.

Thanks,

~Mac

It's too hard to diagnose over the internet... it could be a very consistent flinch, it could be you milking the grip as you are pulling the trigger, it could be many things. The trigger on a glock is like a lever- you are a pulling on the bottom- that level action alone can cause the muzzle to drop while pulling the trigger. All you can do if focus on pulling the trigger straight back without influencing the movement of the muzzle.... easy right? :unsure:

This may be a result of a "did I hit it" flinch. Moving the gun down to get it out of your line of sight so you can see if you hit the target or not. You may also be overcompensating for muzzle rise during recoil. In either case, as Jake points out, you are moving the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Spend some time doing slow fire drills, being very careful to do everything right and follow through. Matt Burkett has a good set of drills for this.

Great advice everyone! I'll work on the dry-fire drills on the days I dont shoot and see if I can clean this up. When I shoot under 15-yards, I hit a little low but usually zero or one down. I think the low shooting is amplified at distance so it probably is me yanking the barrel down as I pull the trigger.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Also try checking your zero with your pistol at 20 or 25 yards, both rested on a bench rest and standing up aiming at the target. This will help see where your rounds are hitting the target at that range. I was having the same problem but I was shooting higher and little to the right. Adjusted the sights and groups got alot better.

Under stress with a timer going, we have a tendency to put more pressure on the trigger and it is magnified at 20 yds and long distances......Bullseye shooters really work on trigger control and the sight picture not changing.

At you next practice, put a 20 yd target and take your time one shot at a time, bring the gun down, let your arm rest for a few seconds then take another.Hold your breath, and concentrate on lightly squeezing the trigger as to when it fires it is almost a surprise, while making sure the front sight has not moved at all. It is a good practice drill that helped me.

I would consider getting a lighter trigger for your Glock if you do not already have one. This will reduce the trigger control issue you have. Be sure to place you finger on the bottom portion of the trigger when you squeeze it. Remember that a Glock trigger is essentially a lever and the further out you are from the fulcrum the lighter the pull will be. But I do think your problem is flinching ... especially when the bullets are hitting more than 12" below point of aim.

I know Jake's on the right track, but I also have a question: Where in the -0 zone are you aiming? It's an eight inch circle, offset high on the target -- so if you're aiming at the bottom of the circle, or the middle of the target, that could also get you low hits.....

To make sure: Outline the -0 circle perforation in thick black magic marker, or black pasters. Then put the target downrange and shoot at it. Use the frame to put your sights on the right spot, carefully stroke the trigger, follow through, and then see where the bullet impacted. Start close in and work your way out, stopping often to tape the target.

Once you're sure that aiming at the proper point on the target isn't the issue, you'll have an easier time working on the rest....