Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any way to temporarily stop Primer and Case Feed on 650?

Hi all,

I finally started making ammo with my 650 last night. I assembled some 9mm per the specs in my reloading manual and then found I needed to crimp it a bit more.

I needed to run every round through the crimping die only. Before I could do that, I first had to empty the case tube and primer feed system. Kindof a pain.

Is there any way to temporarily stop the automatic feeding of primers or cases??

I seem to remember somebody had a way to stop the primer feed.

Thanks,

Don

Edited by dcmdon

Hi all,

I finally started making ammo with my 650 last night. I assembled some 9mm per the specs in my reloading manual and then found I needed to crimp it a bit more.

I needed to run every round through the crimping die only. Before I could do that, I first had to empty the case tube and primer feed system. Kindof a pain.

Is there any way to temporarily stop the automatic feeding of primers or cases??

Thanks,

Don

to stop the primer feed:

remove the black angled thingy:D from the top front of the frame. it just takes an allen wrench. its the part that the primer advance arm hits when you raise the press.

as for the case feed, the easiest way is to just turn off the case feeder and empty the case holder tube

hope that made sense:blink:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Don

Somebody used a piece of wire bent into a U shape that stopped the primer feed. Or was it the case feed. I really don't want to start removing parts of the press to stop the primer feed. There has to be some quick, tool-less, easy way to disable the primer feed.

to stop the primer feed:

remove the black angled thingy:D from the top front of the frame. it just takes an allen wrench. its the part that the primer advance arm hits when you raise the press.

as for the case feed, the easiest way is to just turn off the case feeder and empty the case holder tube

hope that made sense:blink:

the part im talking about is the upper left black piece

650_Parts.jpg

it takes all of 5 seconds to remove, and does not affect any other part of the press.

i do it all the time when im first working up a load and basically using the machine like a single stage

To stop primer feed, take off the primer cam as already explained.

To temporarily block case feed, insert a "U" bent wire in the casefeed body bushing (invert "U" and insert one leg in the bushing and the other one over the body assembly) to keep the casefeed arm from swinging forward and drop cases through the former.

I'm fairly new on the XL650 however having been spoiled on a LNL for easy.

First to stop cases I just drop a ball point pin in the case feed piece that swings in and out. For 9 mm it should have the green insert in it.

With your particular objective and I've done this, I just put the first round in at the crimp crimp it and bring the shell plate down just far enough to remove the crimped round then stuff another and crimp it. The dillon only advances on the down stroke so since there is no need to advance no need to stop everything. Also powder does not throw since the measure is not reset. If you let the shell plate down too far then you have reset things.

I also use this method for setting the bullet seating die which is a dillon die so its a bit of a pita compared to one with an adjustment knob.

Edited by CocoBolo

Rigger,

Actually I couldn't get the spring. The piece that it moves has a long tail that extends far into the spring. I didn't really try very hard because it is supposed to be easy. So I figured I'm missing something.

Care to elaborate? What did I do wrong.

it might be easier with a pencil or something, I just use my fingers...

push the end up that is to the right, the end opposite the long finger, until you can just slip the spring off the finger...

jj