Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Member with Potentially stupid question

Boriqua

I just received my .40 EAA Match. Beautiful gun but I don't understand the half stop on the hammer? whats it for ..

I thought there was something wrong with the gun and then read the manual and they mention it there but dont tell you why it exists

Alex

I just received my .40 EAA Match. Beautiful gun but I don't understand the half stop on the hammer? whats it for ..

I thought there was something wrong with the gun and then read the manual and they mention it there but dont tell you why it exists

Alex

It's safety mechanism, if you drop the gun and hammer falls it should catch on half stop.

Boriqua,

The only stupid question is the one never asked. We all started at the very beginning of this road and have asked the same questions at one time or another.

Not being familiar with the EAA guns but recognizing some terms I'll attempt an answer and then wait to see if the EAA folks agree with me.

The hammer has a half cock notch to stop the hammer from falling all the way to the firing pin IF the sear does not engage the hammer hooks for any reason. It is a safety item that is on any quality 1911 style hammer and on your EAA. If the hammer ever falls to half cock the reason it did should be found and corrected before the gun is fired again as there is a possibility that the gun will go full auto. :surprise: Some of the reasons that may cause the fall to half cock are:

Hammer hooks too shallow, worn or set at incorrect angle.

Sear stoned at wrong angle or worn

Too light main spring pressure

Over travel adjustment on the trigger adjusted too tight not allowing the sear to fully seat in the hammer hooks.

Short answer is that the half cock notch is a safety item.

CYa,

Pat