Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a Beretta 96 Limited Gun

DyNo!

I shoot a Beretta Elite II with success (Hopefully bumping up to A soon) and I would like to shoot the Limited & Tactical Optics classes in 3-gun at some point.

I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage shooting my Elite II in Limited in 3-gun since I don't have a magazine well, I have to start with a double action pull, and I can't make major in 9mm with that gun.

My solution is to build a Beretta exclusively for Limited 3-gun because I have no intention of dumping $1,500-2,000 on a 2011.

They make magazine wells for Berettas and I'd like to throw one on a Beretta 96 along with an extended magazine and blam - make a Limited gun.

I'd also be able to convert it to be able to turn on the safety while keeping the hammer back for a SA first shot. I'm already fine with my Beretta's trigger and I'd be even more comfortable with one that had set screws (also available).

I'd also be able to maintain familiarity between production in USPSA and limited in 3-gun.

The only downside is I lack the trigger reset of a 2011.

Is there anything wrong with doing this before I sink $581-681 into it at some point?

Used Police Trade in Beretta 96 ($430)

LPA Adjustable Sights ($60)

Trigger with set screws ($40)

Trigger Job - Maybe ($100)

Magazine well ($50)

SA + Safety conversion ($1)

Edited by DyNo!

• 1 month later...

There is a reason certain platforms dominate certain games and divisions, They are clearly superior tools for the job, You can pound a nail in with a rock, but a hammer is way better and will cause less issues, If you already had a 96 and just wanted some trigger time I'd say go for it. But to actually go out and buy one and then try to build it into a Limited gun even when all is said and done you are still pounding a nail with a rock. You might have a smooth flat sided rock that will continue to suck money as you try to play catch up and dont want to admit you wasted the money you already spent. Lets not even get into the life span issue of Beretta especially throwing .40.

Look at the winners circle and over and over you'll see just a couple platforms.