Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching my kid learn to ride his bike

Canuck223

I've got eight year old fraternal twin boys. They are as different as night and day. Jake is all boy, full of piss and vinegar, and with confidence to spare. G_d help when he's old enough to start shooting.

His brother Ben is the polar opposite in some ways. He's tested genius IQ, but struggles with reading. He just doesn't have the natural confidence of his brother. He quits trying easily when he doesn't pick something up quickly.

My mother likes to spend her summer at the cottage, but she's our primary babysitter. She kidnaps them for the summer. Last summer, while Jake tore around the area on his bike, Ben had to run to keep up. This summer, I was desperate to see him succeed, but I didn't think it was going to happen. Ben wouldn't try, and was playing with his scooter instead. I tried to bribe him with the promise of a new bike if he could master his old one, but it seemed to be going nowhere.

On Thursday, he came to me with a blown tire. I pulled his brothers unused scooter out of the rafters, pumped up the tires, and sent him on his way. He made it all the way to the end of the driveway before the second scooter blew a tire. Once again I strongly suggested he give the bike another try. A few houses down, we have a dead end that the local kids use to learn to ride.

By Friday at noon he was running up the steps to tell me he was riding it. By Saturday dinner, he was showing off to his grandparents.

Today we bought him a new mountain bike.

That's good stuff! One of those things that only happens one time in life. Treasure it because sooner than you can blink you'll be sitting at home wondering what they are up to at college! Trust me. :(