Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to remove handguard nut on LT FF rail

sidnal

I'm reconfiguring an ar that I built several years ago that has a 12" Larue Tactica rail. I need to get it off to replace the barrel but the handguard nut is very tight. I have a good strap wrench but the strap is too wide. It will come off it I put the pliers to it, but that will scar it up.

Any ideas how to loosen this off without nicking up? I've tried wrapping it with plastic but the pliers bite through. I'd hate to have to go buy another strap wrench since my general observation of them is that they're mostly useless!

Thanks for any info!

Edited by sidnal

I'm reconfiguring an ar that I built several years ago that has a 12" Larue Tactica rail. I need to get it off to replace the barrel but the handguard nut is very tight. I have a good strap wrench but the strap is too wide. It will come off it I put the pliers to it, but that will scar it up.

Any ideas how to loosen this off without nicking up? I've tried wrapping it with plastic but the pliers bite through. I'd hate to have to go buy another strap wrench since my general observation of them is that they're mostly useless!

Thanks for any info!

Buy the nylon/fiber reinforced Klein strap wrench as seen here its well worth the time and money...I use it on my LT handguards

Edited by craigulator

A proper sized quality strap wrench is a must. Also heat is your friend. Put some heat to that nut with a heavy duty heat gun and then wrench it off.

That's what I use on the handguard nut/slip ring too.

On LaRue, PRI and YHM and similar barrel nuts I use a 5 pin PRI barrel nut wrench.