Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock 35?

Pro2AInPA

I wouldn't use a CCF race frame unless your having a professional build the gun, and there is a guy on here that was shooting one of those SJC slide on compensator's last year and he really liked it, me personally if you buy a compensated barrel and a slide ride dot you will get a feel for open for about the same money. I have 2 SJC open guns a 40 and a 9mm. My 40 open is cool but my 9 is better.

I wouldn't use a CCF race frame unless your having a professional build the gun, and there is a guy on here that was shooting one of those SJC slide on compensator's last year and he really liked it, me personally if you buy a compensated barrel and a slide ride dot you will get a feel for open for about the same money. I have 2 SJC open guns a 40 and a 9mm. My 40 open is cool but my 9 is better.

Loading/shooting 9 major just scares the crap out of me. :surprise:

I WAS exactly where you are, I have found that using autocomp with 9mm is no diffrent than loading for my 40, no pressure problems, no issues at all. I have only shot my 9mm in 2 matches one last year and one this year but it dosent have the face slapping blast that some powders do, I am only running a 166 PF @ 7 grains so I would need to buffer for a big match. On my 40 i was shooting autocomp with 135 grain bullets and I liked that load a lot.

I am just getting used to the dot now, I was running iron sights on my 40 only because I didnt want to spend the time learning the dot, last weekend I only lost the dot once and it is on the stage I posted here.

Edited by rupie

For post #1, my opinion:

Fun - probably

Cheap - no, not really

Competitive - no

There are guns that are only legal in Open and then there are guns that keep up with Open shooters.

You can buy a used STI or Caspian in the classifieds for a similar cost, if you are patient.

Edited by eric nielsen

Loading/shooting 9 major just scares the crap out of me. :surprise:

My 9mm open Glock makes major with no problems and is easy to load with WSF - 7.0 grains and 125 fmjs and HP's. No pressure signs.

Leo

Hello: The cheapest thing to do is just buy a C-More and install it on the slide. Just shoot your normal loads and see how you like the dot. I built a G17 open pistol and had some fun with it. I decided I liked shooting open so I bought a STI open pistol. It is a much better plateform :cheers: The Glock was ok but the STI is great. The Taylor Freelance +8 base pads work great. I use the Arredondo +5's as well. If you buy one Taylor and 3 Arredondo's you should have enough mags. Hope this helps. Thansk, Eric

I just realized I have a KKM 40-9mm conversion barrel for the G35. I can use that in conjunction with that SJC unit to shoot 9 major. :devil:

There was talk about that last year and SJC does not recommend using for for 9mm major, it was not made to take that kind of abuse! That Jager setup might be the cheapest intro to open on the market to throw on a glock.

That is correct. There is one barrel KKM makes for 9major which was designed with input from John Nagel; chamber is fully supported.

It is what I had in my open glock and you'd never knew you'd shot 173 power factor from the brass. Last I checked the owner of KKM is still a little quirky to talk to, if you want the 9Major barrel for a G17 or G34 i'd get it thru a gunsmith like John.

I did pick up my own indoor range practice brass and reload it, sometimes 3 or 4 firings. You don't want to try that in a conversion barrel. They are made for standard 9mm ammo and you can count on have some extraction & ejection headaches out of any conversion gun anyway. The Jager package as mentioned seems like a pretty good deal.

I'd rather shoot 40open than mess with a conversion. It's been tried, search if you're curious.

I've been down this road. Glock 17 with a j-point low mounted, comp, nice trigger and Ice magwell. I made B with it, and thought I really liked it.

Then I messed around and shot a buddys SV.

I wish i would have gone straight to the S_I platform. I wasted a lot of money making due with what I had.

I've seen some really good deals in the classifieds.

Just be patient.