Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clip-On Beaver Tails Legal in SSP?

blind bat

The slide on my G34 often rubs my hand enough to leave skid marks but not enough to draw blood. I don't have meaty hands but I do grip the gun as high as possible. I'm thinking about getting something like Smart Lock Competition 2M clip on beaver tail. See: http://www.smartlock.com/thumbrestComp2-r.htm

My primary concern is that as some point I'll grip the gun a little too high and cause a jam by slowing down the slide. However, if it's illegal in SSP I'll just make and use a little grip tape to help index my strong hand.

P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched and didn't find anything.

I have never felt your pain, but I know people who have. I do not believe it is a legal modification based on number 1 below. "Grips" means grip panels. Heck, you can't even checker or stiple. It should be ok in ESP as long as the gun then fits all of the other requirements for ESP.

EXCLUDED Modifications SSP (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Externally visible modifications other than grips or sights.

2. Robar style grip reduction.

3. Add-on magazine well opening.

4. Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part it replaces.

5. Seattle Slug Grip Plug and similar weighted products.

6. A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model.

7. Slide lightening (see slide, lightening in glossary for further information).

8. Checkering and stippling.

9. Refer to Appendix ONE-A. Firearms-Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications.

Edited by Steve J

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure that if it wasn't stamped with a Glock part number then it wouldn't be legal. I also realized after I posted this that that most anything that made that extended the length of the G34 would probably cause it not to fit in the box. Grip tape it is!

Duane - Last season I ran a CZ in ESP. I shot in ESP primarily due to the fact that local SO's got freaked out at when I manually lowered the hammer at LAMR. I didn't really want to start off on a DA trigger anyways so that didn't really bother me. However, most of the local mid-level regulars are shooting Glocks in SSP. This season I decided to run a Glock in SSP so I could get an apples-to-apples comparison on how my shooting is progressing. Basically it takes one variable out of the equation and I get to be one of the cool kids. ;)