Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I Slow Down?

dbxdm9

CHA-LEE's post really has given me something to ponder. I have gotten to the point where I have visual patience in shooting but all my non shooting skills need work. Until his post I keep thinking I need to go faster but now I realize that I need to do everything sooner, get out of the box sooner, get to the shooting position sooner, get my weak hand on the fresh mag sooner, etc, etc. Really eye opening!

Edited by jamautry

CHA-LEE's post really has given me something to ponder. I have gotten to the point where I have visual patience in shooting but all my non shooting skills need work. Until his post I keep thinking I need to go faster but now I realize that I need to do everything sooner, get out of the box sooner, get to the shooting point sooner, get my weak hand on the fresh mag sooner, etc, etc. Really eye opening!

Good stuff! And break the shot at the earliiest opportunity, as opposed to over aiming.

be

CHA-LEE's post really has given me something to ponder. I have gotten to the point where I have visual patience in shooting but all my non shooting skills need work. Until his post I keep thinking I need to go faster but now I realize that I need to do everything sooner, get out of the box sooner, get to the shooting point sooner, get my weak hand on the fresh mag sooner, etc, etc. Really eye opening!

So much of this sport is really the opposite of what your initial thoughts are, or what seems obvious. For fast times you gotta shoot fast right? Not so much...

This past weekend I shot a stage with 32 pieces of steel, fixed time. You just shot as many as possible from three shooting areas. I watched shooter after shooter blow up because they just knew they had to shoot fast...only so much time right? I only got 27 of them down, but had only one makeup shot, and there was only one shooter with 28. The next closest was 23 and it dropped off from there. We talked after shooting it and I said that I approached it like Virginia count and he said "I went back to my Marine training...one shot, one kill/hit. What seemed to demand speed, really demanded precision. :blink:

Good stuff! And break the shot at the earliiest opportunity, as opposed to over aiming.

be

I have been very guilty of over aiming. I have to admit i didn't really understand the different types of focus you discuss in your book until after the Area 4 match. I realized after that match that I shot every shot like it was a 50 yard shot. Since then I have practiced using different types of focus to see what is needed for different shots. The results have amazed me.

be

I have been very guilty of over aiming. I have to admit i didn't really understand the different types of focus you discuss in your book until after the Area 4 match. I realized after that match that I shot every shot like it was a 50 yard shot. Since then I have practiced using different types of focus to see what is needed for different shots. The results have amazed me.

Good work.

The trick lies in learning to break the shot at the "earliest opportunity": as soon as you seen what you need to see to call the shot a hit, or an A.

be

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...