Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPEN >LIMITED GUNS

usmc1974

I have a Chrony F-1 Chronograph, 7 grains 7625 is getting me about 1350-1360 running about a 167/168 pf,I just used 1331 as floor. Boy, I know well about the shooting Gods, oooh yea. :rolleyes:

That margin is NOT enough. I load to a minimum of 172pf based on experience with chrono at major matches.

Are major matches chorno's that poorly maintianed?

No its actually the opposite. Your F1 like my CE is set up at the practice range in the open. The angle of the sun, angle of your shot and other variables affect the readings.

Most majors have 2 PACTs/Ohlers set up inline, in a "light" box usually with an infared sensors. NO variables. So what happens is guys are saying "my load Always makes it at home" probably but not on as good of a chrono set up. You are getting advice from 10,000's of major match experiences, not just me but I've been to 100's

I have a Chrony F-1 Chronograph, 7 grains 7625 is getting me about 1350-1360 running about a 167/168 pf,I just used 1331 as floor. Boy, I know well about the shooting Gods, oooh yea. :rolleyes:

That margin is NOT enough. I load to a minimum of 172pf based on experience with chrono at major matches.

Are major matches chorno's that poorly maintianed?

No its actually the opposite. Your F1 like my CE is set up at the practice range in the open. The angle of the sun, angle of your shot and other variables affect the readings.

Most majors have 2 PACTs/Ohlers set up inline, in a "light" box usually with an infared sensors. NO variables. So what happens is guys are saying "my load Always makes it at home" probably but not on as good of a chrono set up. You are getting advice from 10,000's of major match experiences, not just me but I've been to 100's

Thanks for the info.

Most majors use CED's, not PACT's. I have a PACT MKIV and while it's a good chrono, I wish I had bought a CED, since that seems to be the "official" chrono of USPSA.

Most majors use CED's, not PACT's. I have a PACT MKIV and while it's a good chrono, I wish I had bought a CED, since that seems to be the "official" chrono of USPSA.

Yea your right CED's Sorry I don't really notice chrono brands(I think I own a PACT MKIV) but know to load up to around 170 because of the discussed variables and nothing wrong with 172 but I am pretty sure if you load 166-167 you will minor a major match soon.

I think they like the CED's because of the infared screens. Before you shot they did use ohlers cause it is supposed have been the best

Edited by BSeevers

I think Bart's talking about a safety margin, though 50 fps seems a bit much. Don't think you need to be at 173 pf.

While it might be a bit harder on the arms/wrists/elbows, 173PF isn't really an excessive margin. I loaded a large batch of ammo before the 08 Nats. It went 173-174 at several major matches before it went 166.1PF at Nationals! I had plenty left over, and it went 173-174 at home again (just had to check). Didn't change a thing on the press (still haven't) and used the same lot of powder, same lot of primers, bullets and cases (buy everything in bulk) to load for the 09 Nationals and it was still going 173-174 at home and went 172PF in Vegas :wacko: Yeah, that was only one time it was low, but if I'd been at 170PF on a normal day, I would have gone Minor in 08.