Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoulder injury - Winchester Popper recoil question

walsh

I have been waiting to take a combat shotgun class for almost a year and it's in 11 days.

About 5 weeks ago I slipped on some ice and had about 30 pounds of guns and ammo on my chest and had no chance to drop it or to gain my balance. It was feet out to horizontal, tuck in head, turn slightly to not break back. With that, as per the films taken, I have severe bursitis in my right shoulder which is said to indicate I came close to needing surgery to repair tears in the rotor cuff. The cortisone shot works wonders, but I can still hit some really painful points and 150 AR shots in a competition this weekend made for a stiff shoulder for two days.

I'm looking into a recoil pad that one wears and also have some dummy rounds to go through the motions and cut down on recoil exposure by reducing shots fired from about 350 to 200. But I also was wondering about the recoil of blanks.

Would anyone have any experience with the recoil of the following;

Winchester Field Trial Popper Load Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Smokeless Blank

I would prefer to be exposed to the report of a shot during training as opposed to "click" as I ejected a dummy round from my Rem 870. Plus, I only have 8 Pachmayer dummy rounds and I don't know if parts of the course are designed for more rounds on the line. If the recoil of the Trial Poppers is half or less, I'll probably go that route with at least 50 rounds.

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

Edited by walsh

This is the pad I have and use,last Year when I did my two day shotgun saftey course we fired about 300 rounds inc some slug,over 2 days. After wearing my past pad over the weekend I had NO brusing or soreness normally I have brusing after 25 rounds shooting clays! I have a prolapsed (slipped) disk in my back.

Link to the pad I have on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/PAST-Recoil-Protection-Ambidextrous-Field/dp/B0009TRNRK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1268807897&sr=1-2 but I bought mine from ebay at the time.

I also find a hot bath with Radox useful and if my backs playing up,I also rub a ibuprofen base gel into it when it hurts,generic ones are just as good as branded.Don't know if that will help with your shoulder but it helps with my back.

Have you thought about using a Knox Stock?

I'd echo this too. Having run both, I do prefer a youth stock on my 870 for defensive use. However, the Knoxx stock really does cut down perceived recoil and I could shoot full power loads all day long with that stock -- if you shoot really light bird loads (or blanks) they should be even more manageable.

Downside of course is that you're learning TTPs/etc in a combat shotgun course like that, and so you'd ideally run the exact configuration that you will deploy with to get the most out of the class...

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I do highly recommend you ice that thing relentlessly. I prefer to fill small dixie cups with water and freeze them. Then you can peel away the outer layer and rub the ice directly into the problem area. This thing is pinpoint and freaky cold. 5 minutes on (careful to not give yourself frostbite) and do it 4 or 5 times a day. (5 minute ice massage = 20 minutes loose packed ice = infinity minutes with a bag of frozen peas).

Thanks for all the replies.

I do have the Knoxx stock already.

And as per the ice, I just started thinking I should be doing that.

Thanks again,

Walsh

Edited by walsh