Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

burning powder and spud guns

I've made several versons over the years all using some sort of aresol fuel.  Starting fluid and carb cleaner work the best.  One model was capible of launching spuds over 150 yards

LOL. Been there, done that. Another good fuel was obtained by getting a cutting torch to the proper flame, snuffing it out, filling the tube and then igniting.

*BOOM*

Got my first look at a real spud gun, where else, but in a gas processing plant. The guy stood there in the parking lot and "KABOOM" chucked a tater over a tank about 100 yards away. I'm thinking "I gotta have one." Contrary to what you might expect, people who work in gas plants seem to like stuff like that. And they are generally experts at knowing how to not get blown up. Natural selection at work, perhaps? :P

He has also launched an old Rolls Royce. Silly old sod, but I bet he has lots of mates :D

Brut 33 best aerosol propellant around, very high in hydrocarbons. Use an under-ripe pear and let rip. I have seen them go 300yards +. They will go clear through 5ply at 10yards. Taters give less penetration, due to high water content.

Stainless Steel food grade (ie Dairy Farm milk pipes. PD) best material for gun, but plastic downpiping easier for the home 'smith. Not that we checked.

In the Southern US they also have a Pumpkin gun competition, some of those boys clearly have tooooooo much time on their hand.