Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique My .40 Load (WST 180 JHP)

NoSteel

I have a question about my load which will be answered as the months get warmer but thought someone may have some insight. Load is for .40 S&W with mixed brass. 5.0gr WST, Zero 180gr JHP "1.200 oal W/ CCI SPP. No overpressure is indicated at this load. Below are my latest Chrono results at an air temp of 45deg. (Hey, It's Vermont). I run this in my Tanfoglio Limited.

So, power factor 169L & 178H. Throwing out the low and high point, avg= 173pf.

My question is..... What kind of change will I see come mid summer, 80deg temps since WST is reverse sensitive? Will I be running too close to 165pf? Would switching to a magnum SPP get me back to 170+ pf? Again, I'll be running thru the chrono as the temps go up just curious if anyone has some prior experience. I'd hate to switch loads because I love the way this load feels, WST meters excellent and is SUPER clean. Oh, and everybody likes the smell!!!

Edited by NoSteel

I shoot 5.0 of WST behind a 180 MG JHP, out of a 5" Para, and a 5"STI, and it is dead on with your numbers, and it does great. I know they say the numbers will change with temps, but it has been pretty consistant for me. I will say that I haven't run it through the chrono at my area's temp extremes, but I'm getting no signs of pressure, it's clean, accurate. I see no need for me to change, or go looking for something else.

I have a question about my load which will be answered as the months get warmer but thought someone may have some insight. Load is for .40 S&W with mixed brass. 5.0gr WST, Zero 180gr JHP "1.200 oal W/ CCI SPP. No overpressure is indicated at this load. Below are my latest Chrono results at an air temp of 45deg. (Hey, It's Vermont). I run this in my Tanfoglio Limited.

So, power factor 169L & 178H. Throwing out the low and high point, avg= 173pf.

My question is..... What kind of change will I see come mid summer, 80deg temps since WST is reverse sensitive? Will I be running too close to 165pf? Would switching to a magnum SPP get me back to 170+ pf? Again, I'll be running thru the chrono as the temps go up just curious if anyone has some prior experience. I'd hate to switch loads because I love the way this load feels, WST meters excellent and is SUPER clean. Oh, and everybody likes the smell!!!

Looks good to me my load with 180gr jhp's and 1.190 is 5.1gr WST and it always makes 171pf or higher even in temp > 100. Do not leave it cooking in a hot car where the temps go > 140.

5.0 gr of WST behind a MG CMJ does not make major for me out of a 4.25" M&P.

When I tried both regular and magnum small pistol primers, the chrono speeds were within 3 or 4 fps of each other, so very little difference for me.

I saw the same with MG 180 CMJ. One of 2 reasons I switch to Zero's. My Tanfo did not like feeding that flat nose profile very well...