Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Frame 1911 in USPSA/IDPA

A62335

Again, thanks for the comments and info guys. The gun is a 10-8 Operator from the Springfield Custom Shop/10-8 Performance. I am getting it to use a an off-duty/CCW gun, but I'm a "shoot what you carry" kinda guy, which is why I want to shoot this gun in IDPA. I hadn't considered getting another gun, as Corey suggested, so maybe I'll pick up a run-of-the mill LW Operator and shoot that at matches instead.

• 1 year later...

After poking around through the searches, this seems the most appropriate thread to revive.

Can any aluminum framed VIP owners comment on their round counts through the guns and how they hold up? If I get a VIP for concealed carry I will likely shoot it in IDPA and L10 until I can get a full out Limited gun built in another year or so. I would like to know whether to get the steel or aluminum frame. I'd like to keep it as light weight as possible but not at the cost of having to replace the frame before the rest of the gun wears out along with it.

Input?

Edited by Erucolindon

This is my aluminum framed 5" bobtail, carry gun. I asked Wilson if there would be a problem with the frame if I shot it a lot. They said, "if you hurt the gun, we will replace it". It has 4-5k rounds through with 0 problems.

SANY0752.jpg

Edited by Shadyscott999

I shoot my SA 3" EMP 9mm in USPSA, and it's my carry gun. Right now I only have 2,650 rounds through it, but the season is about to start! I haven't had any issues, and I don't see anything happening.

The ONLY thing I've noticed is that since I don't run a magwell, my frame has a lot of dents and dings from magazines hitting it. Not a big deal to me, but aluminum is softer than steel.

Does anyone know if STI will stand behind their aluminum frame the way some of these other builders say they do? If it gets sloppy after 10k rounds is it reasonable to demand a fix or replacement? 20k? 30k? I've never put anything close to that many rounds down a gun but I'd like to get more active and serious with my shooting.