Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W Limited Build

Wideload

After previously stating elsewhere within these forums that I need to standardize and concentrate on a limited set of pistol platforms for shooting games -- S&W Revos, Glocks for most everything else (with occasional side trips to CZ land) and a 1911 (only when it's a single stack only match), I have succumbed yet one more time to the marketing pressures of the gun industry. This time I located some local Law Enforcement trade in Glock 22s for a reasonable price that I was going to use to build an "inexpensive" limited gun but, I found myself with a full size M&P 40. I can justify by saying so far, this was funded by sale of another gun and the current sales promotions by S&W made it a very attractive offer but, nevertheless, I am yet one step further away from the standard platform philosophy.

Since I've committed to following this detour, the M&P40 is going to be the "inexpensive" Limited gun build. Here is what I am thinking (and also the order in which I will acquire and execute as funds become available):

1. Trigger Job - Follow the DIY instructions but use APEX Tactical Sear and FP Block instead of modifying the existing parts. Material Costs are $30 for the Sear and $25 for the FP Block. Anyone here have any experience with APEX Sear? They seem to get good reviews on the MP-Forum and Randy Lee is known for his exceptional work.

2. Bladetech DOH $65/Use existing magazine holders. At least here I am reverting to this consistency thing...

3. Taylor-Freelance 140 mm Mag Extensions -- get 3 at $30 ea for Aluminum. OR, is it worth the extra $20 to get the Brass Mag Exts? (TF because they are compatible with the Speed Shooter Magwell #5 below)

4. 1mm F/O front sight $35. Black out the rear white dots for now. Will likely get an aftermarket rear -- Dawson or Warren -- if this combo does not work for me.

5. Speed Shooter Specialties Brass Magwell $80. I know that it makes the gun look akward but it is the heaviest magwell at 5 oz. If it performs, who cares. (I could also buy a Nevco Brass Magwell and keep the gun more athetically pleasing but it only adds 1.5 ozs. Anyone here have an opinion here?)

Running total so far is ~ $335 - $410 depending on Mag Exts and not counting S&H costs above the purchase of the gun. Am I missing anything here(except for maybe a 40 L slide)? Any words of wisdom on the order or parts identified by those that have already gone down this path?

TIA

You should probably check some of the other threads in this topic for verification, but I am not sure if a front sight that is the proper height for the stock rear will be the right height for a Dawson or Warren rear. I know you are trying to do this on the cheap, but maybe a sight set would be the way to go right off the bat. Or you could just leave the stock ones for a while. I shot mine with the stock sights (rear dots blacked out, of course) for eight months after I got it, and they worked well enough.

You should probably check some of the other threads in this topic for verification, but I am not sure if a front sight that is the proper height for the stock rear will be the right height for a Dawson or Warren rear. I know you are trying to do this on the cheap, but maybe a sight set would be the way to go right off the bat. Or you could just leave the stock ones for a while. I shot mine with the stock sights (rear dots blacked out, of course) for eight months after I got it, and they worked well enough.

Good point, extra $50 to get the mated rear sight will not break the budget in the long run. Simply the matter of prioritizing what gets done first. Maybe will take care of magwell before the sights.

Also found the thread on Apex sear in this forum, and there may be personal preferences to go with the SSS sear or DIY, but nothing negative.