Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(mm powder spilling everywhere on the Dillon 650

gunzoo

-9mm powder spilling everywhere on the Dillon 650-

So I received my Dillon 650 last week and have started reloading pretty heavy. The press is amazing but I do have one complaint, powder gets everywhere! I'm reloading 9mm and using Unique powder. Every lever pull spills powder out of the rotating cases. When I say powder spills, I mean ALL over the press. It's pretty insane how much powder does come out and insane there aren't more posts about this online. Yes, I am using a slow and steady motion when pulling the arm. Yes, my table is sturdy and secure. So...I need to change powder, to one that doesn't fill the case up so much. What powder do you recommend? I'm looking for something with a finer consistency unlike the flake powder that is Unique!

Thanks,

~Mac

Edited by gunzoo

I really like v.v.3n37. It does a good job plus it meters well.

I will however let you in on the secret to help reduce spillage until you find the powder you want to use. Take off the shellplate. Under the detent ball that stops the shellplate in the correct position is a spring. Pull that spring out & clip off a couple of coils. Put it back together & make sure the ball still does it's job. If you cut off too much, pull the spring back out & stretch it just a little bit. This, like all other adjustments can be overdone so be cautious. One or two coils, you will find the shellplate doesn't snap nearly as hard into place.

Lots of folks use titegroup powder(I don't like it but lots of other folks are big fans) & it does most of the same things that the v.v. powder does & it does them lots cheaper, too. Everything is a trade off but many people really enjoy the titegroup.

MLM

What MLM said. Also in 9mm I find that new Starline Brass sticks on the powder funnel. When you start to make your up stoke the brass pops off the funnel and you'll get powder everywhere. I just take my bell down to the very minimum that will hold the bullet upright when going into the seating die. Then your frustation will level go down. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I will however let you in on the secret to help reduce spillage until you find the powder you want to use. Take off the shellplate. Under the detent ball that stops the shellplate in the correct position is a spring. Pull that spring out & clip off a couple of coils. Put it back together & make sure the ball still does it's job. If you cut off too much, pull the spring back out & stretch it just a little bit. This, like all other adjustments can be overdone so be cautious. One or two coils, you will find the shellplate doesn't snap nearly as hard into place.

This worked like a charm. Thanks!!!

~Mac